Friday, October 24, 2014

Scrappy Burgoyne Surrounded

This is an old pattern, but I used the instructions that were in a American Patchwork & Quilting  magazine. In the beginning I shared parts of blocks:
Working on more Burgoyne surrounded blocks
Then blocks:
Burgoyne surrounded
Then sashed blocks:
Burgoyne surrounded with dashing & cornerstones
I wasn't supposed to sash all of the blocks all the way around, but I realized that too late. In this photo of the top, you can see how I "fixed it."
Goal met. Burgoyne Surrounded top finished. Can you spot the mistake? Or my clever fix?
Then I sent it out to be quilted & waited for what seemed an eternity.
That is when I really started to gush over all of the scrappy goodness! I love a scrappy quilt, 90% if not more of my quilts have 100's of different pieces of fabric in them. It is easier to get 100 pieces to play nicely together than it is 5 - in my opinion. I think that in this quilt there are some mediums that are able to be used as lights or darks, because there are so many other true lights or darks to make your brain go along with it.
I was able to use some hoarded pieces.
I hoarded that girl paying twister for a long time.
& I was able to use my favorite Heather Ross cat print.
My all time favorite Heather Ross cat print - also a well hoarded piece.
Another shot of my new quilt.
Another couple cat prints, one light, one dark. (I've make 2 "king" sized cat charm quilts in the past as well as a couple other cat themed quilts.)
 I really do like it.
I'm a fan of text prints & 2 more cat prints. The red "dark" is probably medium, but it works as a dark here.
 Wine & kitties
More text & more cats (again a light one & a dark one.)
Warm & cool
More text & yet another cat print. I also like the cool & warm prints that are similar but different.
Old cat with even older cat fabric!
I wasn't going to share another cat print (There are others that are not in this photo homage) but this one has my kitty, Rhapsody. (She is a 19 year old Tonkinese cat.)
My Burgoyne Surrounded quilt
Here is the full thing quilted - with me peeking over the top.




AmysCreativeSide.com

18 comments:

Nicky said...

With you on the more the merrier number of fabrics you can squeeze into a quilt! This is just awesome and if I wasn't being good I'd be tempted to start one myself - NOW! Thanks for linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday!

Exuberant Color said...

It looks great and I have to agree, the more fabrics the better!

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, that's beautiful! Scrappy quilts have so much more sparkle!

tirane93 said...

looking at the single block at the beginning of your post all i thought was that the whole quilt would be very busy, but no, it looks GREAT! the low volume prints in the background add a lot of visual interest. what a lot of work in each block too. thanks for sharing it with us!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful finish -- and I completely agree about scrappy goodness!

Gina Koston said...

Your quilt is beautiful!

ruthsplace said...

It is fabulous and I loved seeing all the hoarded special fabrics in it.

I agree, the more fabrics the merrier.

Pattilou said...

What a fun, happy quilt.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love this quilt!

Mary said...

Your added sashing is a good fix. Thanks for sharing the close-ups of the hidden fabrics.

Karen H said...

What a fabulous scrap quilt! I never thought about Burgoyne Surround as a scrappy quilt but it really works! Good luck with your entry!

Leanne said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I would have never thought so many fabrics could work together so well, but they sure do. I really want to try to use more different fabrics in some of my projects too.

Heather J said...

A very striking block put together for a great quilt.

CapitolaQuilter said...

It looks so cohesive for such a scrappy quilt. Love it close up and far away.

Kristy said...

What a great colour scheme

Kat said...

Gorgeous!! I love a good scrappy quilt. And I love all the cats!

Kate said...

Beautifully done!

knottygnome said...

you have some awesome scraps in that quilt. love it!