Monday, October 06, 2014

counting smounting

Well I ended up with 2 extra geese.

& a top that did not work out as envisioned. I saw my geese all flying up.

1st problem, I did not press so that I could easily piece that way - up & down it is.

2nd problem, by virtue of the way a flying geese unit works, (1.5 x 2 or something like that) my geese are actually flying right & left.

Next problem, it is long enough, but not wide enough to be a lap robe/throw size quilt.

What border would you add to 1 or both sides, but not the top & bottom? (Or do a good job selling a top & bottom & both sides border.)



150-ish more flying geese does not sound like the right answer right now... (I did make the wonky ones & could trim enough of those down, but...)

Oh & it officially is both bigger that I thought & too small...

I thought that it would be 36 x 24 - ish (No idea where those numbers came from, but as I was piecing that sounded "right.")

Alternate solution: call it a long baby quilt & let it be finished. (I'm almost there considering that just flying geese is how I envisioned it & now a lot of my ideas feel like - just slap something on to make it bigger.)

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

If you want to make it larger, I would border on all four sides (with a narrow stop border first). Two sides of the border would be wider than the other two to help you get the 'overall balance' part.

Otherwise - what a FABULOUS small quilt!

Carla said...

I would rip a few off the long edge til the proportions feel right and then use that panel on the back and call it a baby quilt.

Vicki W said...

I think I'd either do what Julie suggests or I'd call it a toddler quilt!

Rian said...

What a happy quilt! I'm all for keeping it simple, but whatever you decide, it will be well-loved.