Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pondering










I'm always inspired by Rossie's blog. She has an academic background & was reviewing quilt books from that perspective - I LOVED those posts.

I like her what to stash post more for the fact that it is not what you are expecting to read in a post of that title. Rather she is honest to her own self.

So I am going to "verbalize" my stash needs.

1. I am a scrappy quilter. In most cases, it is fiscally sound for me to buy a charm pack - even though yardage may be less expensive. (Think about my quilts, so many of them used or could have used 1 piece of this print, 1 piece of that print times 100.)
Seriously, I pieced 7 of these:
Pink scrap vomit with the back showing
As one concrete example of how I like to make scrap quilts.

2. This kind of goes with number 1., but I need to stash low volume (light, low contrast prints) prints. These become scrappy backgrounds.

3. Novelties - mostly on white backgrounds or ones that are light in general. (If you narrow you wants, then you are less inclined to buy too many & it is easier to use them with "red" as an example.)

4. I can't rule out any colors - I pretty much like all of them. & I love how Kona (& other solids) have multiple versions of "red" again as an example.

5. I better write it down because I am drawn to their siren song - Japanese Taupes - especially the woven ones. (I have so many UFO's/WIPS/Dreams with these fabrics & several 100% finished quilts too.)
DSC05457.JPG (I miss that little boy cat.)

Just because I have stated what I "need" that does not absolve me from buying other pieces/sizes. (There are quilt pattern's that require more than 1 small piece of fabric.)

1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great post - thanks for the heads up on the other blog, too.

From another scrappy quilter!!