Sunday, May 11, 2014

Do you make pudding?

I've been craving pudding for a while now. The boys went out to get some new shoes, so I decided to make some pudding! Here is my recipe (I added to a basic old fashioned recipe that I found on the cornstarch box): Ingredients: 1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar 1/8 teaspoon salt 3 cups (710 ml) whole milk (I use skim) 6 ounces (170 grams) semi- or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 1 cup good chocolate chips) (I also use cocoa powder - 1/4 cup - 30 grams. I like a strong dark chocolate flavor) 1 Tablespoon (or more) cinnamon (I think that cinnamon makes "everything" especially chocolate taste better - other people add coffee - I add cinnamon. 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Next time I'm going to use 1 teaspoon. Yep, I'm skipping 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4!) The "local" ice cream shop has "Aztec chocolate" that has a bit of heat, so I decided to try to replicate it without alienating the other consumers in my household. I can't taste 1/8... 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract Method: Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt (This is where I add in cocoa powder, cinnamon, & cayenne pepper) in a medium saucepan, Slowly whisk in the milk, in a thin steam at first so that lumps don’t form, then more quickly once the cornstarch mixture is smoothly incorporated. Place over medium-low heat and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 10 minutes or so (slower over lower heat is better, to give the cornstarch time to cook), before it starts to simmer, the mixture should begin to thicken, enough that it will coat the back of a spoon. Add the chocolate chips, and continue stirring for another 2 to 4 minutes, until chocolate is fully incorporated and mixture is quite thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. It was so good warm... (I added a dollop of plain greek yogurt & a handful of walnuts so that my snack was a little more well rounded...) The best part - 1 cup was enough! (Some other treats allow me to eat 4-5 servings.) I started to sew on the baby quilt & as soon as I publish this, I will return to it.

2 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

I haven't had homemade pudding since I was a child.

cindyquiltsOR said...

I think I just fell in love all over again. I love warm pudding.