Sunday, September 22, 2013

It's a top

image
I debated adding those last 2 rows of squares. In the end I added them, because bigger is better & I'd rather use them than not. By adding them, I used about 97% of the squares that I had allocated to this project. (In the beginning it was going to have 20 blocks, it only has 12. I added the remaining 7 or 8 squares to my scrap vomit box - about to be Drunken Irish Chain box)

image
So I was able to add some large squares in the corners. This was the fabric that I used to choose the orange/aqua/brown colors in the quilt.

Sad day indeed. Luckily I have more fishies. Or I can add some beach fabric.
But I of course had a cutting error first. 2.5 + 2.5 - seam allowance = 4.5 not 4...

image
An arty shot from the center.

The back will be scrappy large squares in these colors - I need to trim them all down to the same size & piece them.

Which fabric for the binding?
Any opinion on binding? I had a few others in the running, but I generally prefer a darker binding & I like striped bindings, so these two became the final 2 in the running. (They were both used in the body of the quilt.)

Since my intersections are pretty close to perfect (YIPPEE, I can piece squares.) I am going to have the long-armer quilt it in a cross hatch - I think.

This one has a lot of old favorites, dare I say "precious" pieces so I am glad to see it nearer to completed. (It felt good to use them instead of hoarding them waiting for the perfect project.)

4 comments:

ruthsplace said...

I love how this turned out. The colours are fabulous and the fish fabric really cute. This design is the next quilt on my ever growing list.

hetty said...

That turned out great! I love striped binding too.

Vicki W said...

I love the colors and I like the border a lot. It's going to look great quilted in a cross hatch.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Very fun and cheerful quilt flimsy! :-)