Monday, July 29, 2013

A dog quilt

Untitled by aviva_hadas (Amy)
Untitled, a photo by aviva_hadas (Amy) on Flickr.

Yes, The Calico Cat is sharing a dog quilt!.

I'm not sure if you can tell, but there are quotes printed on the fabric in the background. Those were fun to peruse.

The dogs are made out of Japanese Taupes.

I have a rather large collection of this type of fabric (& 4 100% completed quilts that use them exclusively) I have been revisiting those friends as of late - I put together a quick simple top using them so that I could have a hand quilting project while on my trip to NY & then I decided to do the very popular pattern, Swoon, in taupe as well. (I need to change the blade in my rotary cutter before starting that one - poor excuse, huh?)

So while I haven't been cutting for the Swoon, I have been sewing on my scrap vomit (S.V.) quilts. (The 30's name for this pattern is Steps to the Altar.)

Yeah completely different, but it was fun to do some mindless sewing.

You may recall that I 100% finished a blue S.V. & purple one, then I decided to do the rainbow. I now have the red, orange, yellow, green, & pink diamond blocks pieced - with the exception of one row on one yellow diamond - it must be hiding among the scrappy rows.

There are 2 blocks, one creates a double diamond - color & black, the other is 100% scrappy both are based on a 7x7 grid, the 1x7 parts of those blocks are what I am calling rows. I need to piece roughly 140 more of those rows then I will piece them into blocks. (This way my fabrics will hopefully be more evenly distributed.)

1 more tid bit on the scrap vomit quilts - the green one uses all novelty prints & the pink one uses a lot of pink scraps & scraps that have pink in them - not exclusively, but probably 90% of the scraps. (I figured that it would be fun to completely embrace the pink.) I have a nice flannel for that back of that one that has brown cats with pink accents.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I can't wait to see all the colors you're speaking of and how you are using them in your quilts and blocks.