Friday, June 21, 2013

Do you know what I have?

Oh course you do - 4 charm packs.

This tale is the birth story of a quilt. (or 3)

So I have liked Spider Web quilts since they got popular on flickr - 3 maybe 4 years by now.
But I wasn't thrilled with the various construction methods.

They I saw the Wacky Web on Missouri Star's youtube & that resonated with me.

So I got their starter pack with an extra pack of the papers - I wanted a king size quilt & did not want to run out of papers. (I needn't have worried.)

& I started my green spider web & loved every minute of piecing the triangles. I'm liking the assembly as a whole a little less, but... It's partially pieced as I type.

But I had cut too many strips for it, not a couple too many a 1/4 of a quilt too many!

I also had (have) a lot of unused triangles.

So I started to shop for backgrounds. I wanted to go super scrappy - but not trite aka white background.

I chose a print by Anna Maria Horner & almost immediately abandoned the super scrappy, now I am building more or less an ode to Anna Maria Horner - I've included other prints that "go with" the main print...

That left me with the pile of green/blue & by now a bit of everything strips for yet another spider web. (If it was worth doing once, why not do it 3 times?)

So I went back to an idea that I played with when deciding to go super scrappy & yet not trite. Scrappy solids.

I dutifully asked my husband when I purchased the large piece if 4 charm packs would be o.k. - I don't recall, he may have been non-committal.

At any rate, when an online purveyor of fabric sent me a coupon, I looked to see if they had an Kona charm packs for this project & they did so I got some. :o)

Now I have to keep the colors together, so that I get a blue star & a green star, etc. whether or not I try to arrange them into a rainbow at the end of the block piecing remains to be seen. (I doubt it.)

I also have some pretty great internet friends.
Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

ruthsplace said...

Sounds like it's going to be fabulous.

Suzan said...

I am anxious to see what you make!!

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

I can't wait to see your ode to AMH. I'm a fan too.

Angie said...

I can not wait to see what you come up with! :-)

Angie said...

I can not wait to see what you come up with! :-)

Rhonda said...

Sounds like you have a plan and some great charms. Can't wait to see what comes next!!