Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I know I have been "chatty" here today, but...

I have another question for you.

Using a 2.5 inch grid, what ratio would you use for a capital "L"?

While I am at it, if you could verify the numbers for cutting that would be great too.

I am thinking that the ratio is 3:2. So I would need one 2.5 inch square & one 2.5 x 6.5 rectangle for each "L". (2.5 x 4.5 for the background - so that the 2.5 inch square added to the 2.5 x 6.5 rectangle, would make a bigger rectangle.)

Yes, the 1/4 inch seam allowance still stumps me regularly.

I'm planning a baby quilt & prefer to do a lot - if not all - of the cutting up front - so knowing the numbers helps. (& this is why I normally use a pattern.)

Right?

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

2.5" is the cut size, right? A finished size 6"x2" rectangle plus a 2" square makes a nice L. So sounds like you've got it right!
PS it helps me to do my "figuring" in finished sizes, then just add 1/2" to each dimension after you've figured out how you want it to look when it's done!

Kay said...

I agree with Jessie. Figure the finished sizes then add the half inch to each piece. I think her numbers are right too.

sophie said...

When it comes to making letter, there's no one right answer--if you choose proportions that look right to you and are consistent in using them in all your letters, they'll look like they belong together and you'll have created your own font.

Based on the words I've been making lately, my advice would be to looks at letters that have opening in them (like o, a, e), figure out what size they will be and then see if your 3:2 ratio for the capital L will work alongside them. Personally, I would probably end up going taller, just so I don't design myself in a corner when I am making more complicated letters.