Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How I spent my weekend. Cutting 10.5 inch squares for scrappy backgrounds.

I guess Bonnie Hunter gets the credit for this idea... (I've been cutting these off & on for a while, I did not cut all of these this past weekend, though I did probably cut 200 or so this past weekend.)

Draped over the back of the chair are pieces for a friend who is going to make a cat charm quilt.

I've done 2 of those & many of these cats are in 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 of my I SPY quilts/UFO's so I can easily share.

I am generating scraps too - which is good because I had Jackie at Caton Village Quilt Works cut strips for my "unifying" pieces for an out rageous scrap project that is fermenting in ye olde brain.

Yes, my birthday was yesterday. I had jury duty. My number was 214 - number 213 was the last juror selected.

& I want to make some mini-stars & the scraps will owrk for that project as well.

More about the pile = 80 of them are missing already - those will be for my brown & cat "winter" quilt. The cats are in bare trees & you can see snow = winter.

Once upon a time ago, I wanted to make seasonal quilts. Autumn stalled out seriously. Spring = 100% done, Summer was donated to charity.

Back to the pile: some are duplicated (or more - if I was cutting "the rest" of the fabric) most are singles - the print wasn't big enough to get more that one 10.5 inch square out of it. There are pillow panels & other too large for my I SPY projects pieces - or just larger scenes, so that you can see more than just the cannon/cannon ball on that pirate print.

Meanwhile, I still have some yardage that I bought to be a back, so how well/quickly I will use this pile is up for speculation.

(Do you see a red starta - I have a red/ufo that I really want to get back to - especially after seeing that strata.)

6 comments:

Suzan said...

I wish I had the discipline to iron and cut all my scraps. I have done it before and know I need to do it again but I HATE CUTTING! There, I said it. I know there is a pay off in the end but the process of getting there totally puts me off. I need to convince my mother to do it for me...

Rhonda said...

I'm so glad you explained that you did not cut all of those this past weekend... whew... I was about to faint in wonder and awe.... ;-}

McIrish Annie said...

Happy belated birthday! and good job on the cutting. I have just about finished my scrap basket cutting. once that's done I can make lots of scrappy quilts.

how cute is your boy??!!

hetty said...

Happy Belated Birthday! That's a lot of cutting!

Sarah said...

That's a big stack of squares. good thing you had your helpers :)

cityquilter said...

many happy returns, amy, and the wish for many more years of quilting/cutting or whatever!