Friday, December 16, 2011

Softly Spoken

An attempt at a whole shot. (Rainy outside.) I am terribly pleased with the overall effect. :o) The pattern is Plain Spoken by Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr in their book: The Modern Quilt Workshop. Pieced by me. Quilted by Linda Sue in Michigan - if you want her contact info, let me know. She always does a great job.
I call this Softly Spoken because I mixed in prints, where the original pattern uses only solids.

If I had to guess, it is king size. I used 9 yards of flannel on the back. (100 in. x 120 in.)
The backing - 8 yards of cats & 1 of polka dots - I still have no idea why I only bought 8 yards of the cats. I only buy flannel for backing (6 or 9 yards). 8 yards of the cats, 1 of the polka dot. I have no idea why I only bought 8 yards. I only buy flannel for quilt backs & in that vein I buy 6 or 9 yards.
Originally the binding was going to be that red metro circles... The binding - I was going to use that red circle print... In the end I preferred the neutral strip with the top & the back.
Cats & Stars - once upon a time ago all of my quilts had one or the other - all of them! Once upon a time ago, all of my quilts had either cats or stars (Judaica) in them - all of them. So much so that when I would send quilt out to JudyL. for quilting, her son would look for them.
Cat tested... Cat tested!
I was hugely inspired by a couple quilts on flickr by Rita of Red Pepper Quilts &
Malka of Stitchindye.
Windmill pillow cover Malka Dubrawsky's Windmill pillow cover.
Tiffany Quilt Rita's Tiffany Quilt.

7 comments:

Lesly said...

Love this soft, low-contrast look - very peaceful and comforting.

Diane-crewe said...

love the soft colours xx

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt. It looks so soft and cuddly.

Rhonda said...

What a sweet quilt and I love what you named it.

cityquilter said...

it's beautiful amy....very soothing and restful

hetty said...

Beautiful quilt! Lovely soft colours. I like what you named it too.

Ida said...

Saw this giveaway, and thought of this recent post!

http://needlework.craftgossip.com/giveaway/giveaway-jewish-threads/