Wednesday, November 03, 2010

My Favorite Martian


DSCF1247
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Get some coffee, this may take a while.

Once upon a time ago, I saw & fell in love with this "fabric." (It is recycled pyjamas by Munki & I had to trade to get it - again & again, until I felt I had enough.) I got some other recycled pyjamas by the same designer that are equally fun.

I relatively quickly cut into them for my I SPY quilt.

Time passed & I fell inlove with a pattern that I had seen several times on flickr. Mix Tape. (here is one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/feistyeily/3769708183/)
I found out that it is a self published pattern by Elizabeth Hartman, of Oh Fransson! fame. http://www.ohfransson.com/ She has updated this pattern in the mean time... She has also just been published & I love her book. (I also love that I got it for free by using one of my punch cards at the LQS. Do your LQS's have punch card too?) & I decided to buy the Mix Tape pattern.

I also saw this quilt & was SMITTEN:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27953607@N05/3987448774/

So I started to collect, yearn for, and trade for appropriate greens. & then I stalled, you see I wanted to add this green & that green to the mix...

Then I started my hexagon quilt & thought I'd love to have some of those greens in this quilt too... & I wanted plenty of my Munki pyjamas in there as well. I chopped away for my hexagon love quilt & then this project sat again.

Meanwhile, I scored some alone time with a Kona color card & decided that Mocha would be an awesome sashing - something a bit different & unexpected...

Then Jackie had a Kona sale, but no Mocha... Finally Mocha came in & I had to figure out how much to buy. (I don't want to cut it as at it is in the directions - from the length...) Now that I have Mocha on order, I need to start making blocks.

This past weekend, I started to do the math. (Nothing with me is easy.) There are 64 blocks in the quilt, but I don't want the martians in every block, I figure about 3/4's of the blocks would be intersting... Now there are 8 varieties of blocks made from 3 differently sized rectangles, so I needed to figure out how many pieces that would entail. I knew that I did not want only large, medium, or small martians, I wanted a mix. (The directions work from the that a strip & cut 3 of this size, 4 of that, etc. Not helpful for my method or my wants.) So I get my numbers... I then start to cut. After the first "leg" I realized that I don't have enough for 3/4's of the quilt & I can't pop down to the LQS to get more, so I cut as many as I can. - Novel, I know! While doing this, I decide that since the blocks are not all horizonal or vertical in the quilt, that I should cut some Martians in both arangements as well... That was not as wasteful as you might be thinking... As a matter of fact, I am fairly pleased with the lack of waste. Sure I got a few more pieces for my Hexagon love quilt & some 2.5 inchers for an eventual postage stamp quilt... But that was just a bonus.

Truth be told, it feels good to have this all cut up.

Now to figure out how much of the greens to cut. (I have more than necessary, but I have to compensate for the shartage of martians...) Oh & I have no idea how many of each of the martians I have any way... (Easy, never!)

Oh & I still want some Paula Prass Cobblestones in sage.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

You are truly the math queen....I could never calculate all that...you go girl!!!

Eily said...

I'm reading along in your blog, and OMG that's my quilt! lol :D

Thanks for adding it to your post, I'm flattered. :)

I love that martian fabric as well. I've got a couple scraps that I'm hoarding. :)