Sunday, October 03, 2010

Blogtoberfest October 3


New Message
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Nothing to do with this photo, but we are going to have ribeye steaks for dinner. Now we "never" have steak - I have "never" been satisfied with how it came out. So we treat it as a super special out to eat once a year treat....

How do you cook steak?

We plan on using a disposable 1 use cheap-o grill - no lid, no way to regulate heat as I said, cheap-o. So cheap that I will
be very happy if I can also cook a salmon filet after the steaks are done.

If it matters the temps. are in the low 60's & it is a bit windy.

Back to the original question, how do you cook a steak? Marinade?

BTW about the photo - my son playing with my coffee pot at work. (I had to unplug it, he pushed the on button & boy can that sucker get hot!) I am just happy that he did not grab the boxes of tea & fling them around. :o)

8 comments:

Cathi said...

We gave up on cooking steak at home. So if we get a real yearning for some steak, we head to a restaurant that cooks them well. No matter what we try, it just doesn't taste as good as those done on a proper grill.

Deb H said...

I haven't eaten, nor cooked a steak in over 20 years! I used to just grill them on the cheap grill with charcoal. My SIL liked to marinade with A-1 sauce, but I never liked the additioal flavors. I liked it char-grilled with plain old salt & pepper, & maybe a bit of garlic.

Maybe he wants to be a Barista!

QuiltingFitzy said...

HOT & QUICK!

You don't want to bake it, nor cook too long. Marinades are ok, but some of them kind of "cook" the meat, so be careful to follow any guidelines included with a recipe.

We eat steak probably once a week, and fish once a week too! We do eat quite a variety.

ROZ said...

Well your little guy is sure growing up. Cute

Rian said...

I used to work in a restaurant and I cook steak often. It depends on what cut of steak and how well done you like it as to the best way too cook it. A cheapo grill will work fine. Take it out of the fridge for about an hour before you cook it--it will cook more evenly. Don't salt it before cooking.

For a ribeye or New York, get the cheapo grill nice and hot, and put the steak on. Turn it over after 7 minutes. 6 more minutes and it will be medium rare. You can bake it in the oven after that, if you want, to get it more done. When you take it off the heat, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before you cut into it.

If you have a filet mignon, fry it in a skillet until it's brown on both sides and then put the skillet in the oven to let it finish cooking.

You're gonna need a good cabernet with this...

Mama Koch said...

We cook steak A LOT! Right now, my favorite kinda of seasoning is Emeril's S'west. Put it on both sides, and let it set for about an hour (or two).
Rian gave you a good description of how to cook it. We grill ours and like it slightly pink.

*karendianne. said...

Jacob flinging the tea around is kinda funny. What a mess that would have been. I mean, I didn't have to clean it up and all. :P You know I don't cook so I'm not even going to contribute there except to say ENJOY! :)

hetty said...

My husband is the owner of a meat packing plant. But we only eat steak occasionally because I really don't like it that much. I guess when you can have an endless supply the novelty wears off. When we do eat steaks, it's usually strip loin or t-bone. I really love tenderloin (filet mignon). And we like it rare and cook it the way Rian suggested.