Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blogtoberfest October 27


kitties in a tree fabrics
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Raise your hand if you did not know that I work on too many projects at once. O.K., now that brings us to this photo. That poor partial bolt of kitties in trees fabric has been planned to be several quilts already (I've owned it since 2007 if not earlier) all of them included the solid-y browns. I am 99% sure that I have settled on the final pattern & it too includes browns - most if not all of these plus several more. More really is more.

The final pattern is Marquee, a pattern by Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr in their book Modern Quilt Workshop (I still highly recommend this one whenever I am asked to recommend a quilt book).

Two different ones on flickr (The second of which made me think to do this with my cat print.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisecraft/3959889434/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31012421@N08/4901338793/

My back will be scrappy browns including all of my "natural" & brown cat prints.

I am basting hexagons during my lunch hour at work - I can do about 20 in the hour. (I need to start stitching them together - I am running out of papers.)

How do you stitch hexagons together - into flowers? chains? other? (I am leaning towards other - blobs if you will...)

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

That quilt will be very pretty in your brown palette.

WoolenSails said...

Love that kitty fabric, can't wait to see what you make out of it. I make up my flowers, and when I get enough, I made rows, then built it up from there.

Debbie

Mary B said...

That quilt is going to be great!

I stitch hexagons into flowers, but I think it depends on what your final layout will be. With flowers, it's been easier to do them individually. But if it's going to be all scrappy, no flowers (or rows), then blobby should be better!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I like to start with the center hex then sew around it. You will have lots of "Y" seams, however you do it-in rows our around the center building out.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

If you click on Tillies' Mosaic on my labels you will see a great way to keep your blocks organized. It was new to me, maybe you've seen it.