Friday, October 15, 2010

Blogtoberfest October 15


DSCF0773
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Looking at the chickens.

Which reminds me, when he is old enough or maybe when he is a teenager, I want to make sure that he can bake a chicken. (& I only learned recently that eggs should be cooked on low heat...)

Seems that Jamie Oliver wants kids to be able to cook real food & I've seen a list or two of stuff that people think that young people should be able to cook.

On my list in no particular order after baked chicken:
Brisket
Greek stuffed tomatoes
macafoney & cheese (uses suash puree & we all love it.)
roasted vegetables
spaghetti sauce
pea soup
crustless quiche/frittata
baked salmon
Stuffed shells

Some of these are just in regular rotation iin out house others are a good technique...

What would be on your list? (If you don't want to answer here or if you want to include links to recipes, write a post that includes a list & let me know when it is posted so I can read it on your blog.)

3 comments:

sophie said...

When you asked the question, I was thinking that I would focus on techniques (like your how to bake a chicken example) instead of specific recipes, and encourage him to be creative and create his own flavor combinations and recipes.

Greenmare said...

homemade bread. nothing like kneading the dough and watching it rise and shaping it yourself. Also, I've taught my girls (the ones who would watch) how to make pie. Apple pie was what really hooked the big guy when we were going together! ;-)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Baked sweet potato chips, lentil burgers, hummus, deviled eggs... A long time ago my Nana told me to perfect 1 easy appetizer, hot dish, salad and dessert for pot lucks. Makes it sooo easy to know what to bring once the hostess tells you what is needed most. Everyone knows that I almost always bring deviled eggs! For a hot dish I like a rice/chicken casserole that I make. You don't need to know how to cook 100s of things - just a few things very well! Cheers! Evelyn