Monday, September 13, 2010

Why yes, that is a new quilt & cooking question/story/recipe


DSCF0443
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

& yes, you may have seen it. It was in a quilting magazine & I purchased the kit... Called My Guy, designed by funquilts.

Can you use prepared & powdered mustard interchangeably? I have a recipe that calls for prepared mustard, I want to know if I can use powdered mustard instead. (The liquid is not necessary as it is added to tomato sauce/vinegar/etc.)

Orange juice - Are you a fan? I'm not. I don't dislike it, but I have to force myself to drink it. Force may be a bit strong...
I don't usually use recipes that use orange juice either - after a 1/4 cup that in my opinion doesn't add any flavor, you are left with a half gallon... So I decided to try a cake that called for it & for a change, I decided to follow the recipe faithfully. (I even purchased a tube pan!) After purchasing the orange juice & tube pan, I ran to the liquor store for some vodka - screwdriver might help with the OJ - Since when is Vodka a "grain" alcohol? I had two choices for potato vodka - luckily one was $30 less than the other...
So I made the cake & it was GREAT. I found out about it from Floribunda (http://floribunda.blogspot.com/) who found it on smitten kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/moms-apple-cake/) & it was good (I'm still not sure if the OJ is necessary - I'll try it without next time.) I was less than satisfied with out my regular apple cake came out of the bundt pan - the tube pan made me try this recipe - less nooks & crannies for the batter to get stuck in.

Since I had the OJ, I added some to my tsimmes too & that dish was none the less for the addition. (Though I make it without all the time without complaint as well.)
Tsimmes (my way)
In a large casserole, add the following ingredients roughly in the order written
sweet potatoes - peeled & cubed (quantities are a variable with this recipe - I used 2 large)
baby carrots - half of the smaller bag (Or peeled & chopped - 4ish big ones)
prunes - a hand full - maybe a cup
cinnamon - I am a liberal user of the cinnamon - keep shaking until it looks good
honey - drizzled liberally
OJ - 1/4 cup - totally optional
water - @ 1/2 cup
Stir it around & spread it out more or less evenly.
cover tightly with foil Bake 350 for 1 hour - or until the veggies are tender. (I added it to the oven with my chicken...)

5 comments:

JVC_Scout_Mom said...

Dry mustard packs more of a punch, so use two to three times as much prepared mustard in making the substitution.

[Or if you reverse it 1/2 to 1/3 dry mustard for the quantity of prepared mustard.]

floribunda... aka Julie said...

I used lemon juice in my apple cake, instead of orange -- because I have a meyer lemon tree that's full of lemons! They're sweeter than a regular lemon but not as sweet as oranges...

*karendianne. said...

You know I don't cook! Why do you continue to talk about these things. Oh wait. It's not about ME! That's right. You know I forget that part. sheesh.

cindyquiltsOR said...

I think the conversion is: one teaspoon of mustard powder for each tablespoon prepared mustard.

BUT ... I have THREE different prepared mustards in my 'fridge door. I am a fan of very course, brown, prepared mustard. Son likes that yellow ballpark "stuff". Honey mustard is fun from time to time.

GRACE said...

how dull life is with no toys on the floor anymore...to think I used to get annoyed picking them up all the time too...perspective is everything; lucky you amy