Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Now I know my ABC's...


Now I know my ABC's...
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Since my son can sing the ABC's - when he wants to, or when he is just "playing." I decided that it was high time to get going on this ABC quilt.
I bought this panel (& the pink one - that I have since given away) way back when I knew I was going to be a mommy, but wasn't pregnant... (I know horse before the cart...)
Last year - (about 13 months ago) I was asked to join a bee on flickr.
12 of us would do a block or two for the others once a month. I chose the first month, since I had the fabric ready & knew what I wanted done. This was a "use your scraps" bee, so I sent out 2 letters to each member & told them to make a "log cabin" (wonky, traditional - you choose) that ended up 12.5 inches & used only blue - or at least fabrics that read as blue - for my son. I got back a great mix of blocks, the person who did the S block, used novelty prints - snails, & sharks that were pieced within the blue logs = fun! (Only one set of blocks got back to me late - I was so worried - nothing says ABC quilt like one that is missing two letters!) By the end of my month, I still had 6 blocks to make myself so that I would have a 5x6 layout. & there they sat & sat & sat. & then my son started to sing the ABC's. So I pulled out the PIG (Project In a Grocery sack) & cut strips from the blues that I had pulled for my blocks. (& then the project waited while I cut my newspaper quilt, &, &, & - meanwhile I also sewed my block for the last participant & some other "stuff.") I also cut two squares of blue on white prints to be able to finish out the 30 blocks & maintain the "look."
So on Saturday, I got the itch to sew. I decided to sew on this project.

Have you tried to sew with a toddler?

I am glad that I have a Pfaff that can lock its stitch. He was so ready to "help."
He pushed the buttons, he turned the dial, he tried to lift the presser foot, he pushed the table...
Finally, I handed him a scrap - he handed it back, I handed it back, & again, & again, & again... Then he went to check on his cups & I sewed pedal to the metal! & then he came back & messed with the buttons & we passed the fabric back & forth. Then his father emerged & took him back to his bedroom - while I pressed & trimmed. Then he helped again & we passed fabric back & forth...
"Finally" bedtime arrived & then I was able to finish my blocks. At which point I decided to sew the top together as well. That wasn't in the original plan, but waiting until I felt like it wasn't the best plan either - apparently...
When I took the top back to show my husband, I verified the size would work with 2 pieces of yardage for the backing & pulled what I thought would work for the binding. Nothing in my stash was big enough or right enough for the border. So I packed it up & brought it to my mini-group meeting at a LQS so that I could use my gift cards to purchase the border. A nice bright medium blue was in my mind. Boy was that hard to find... I settled on the darker one in this photograph. My binding print did not play nicely with that border print, so I chose a piece of fabric for that too. Luckily my backing fabric will still work. & I think it is rather clever that I am using a print that has the Hebrew Aleph Bet on it for the backing of an ABC quilt!

Now to cut out the border strips & attach them to the top...

6 comments:

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous! I'm sure your son will love it! Are you going to quilt it or send it out?

Teresa said...

You are a very patient mom! The quilt looks great and how fun it will be to talk about the letters and pictures.

Chocolate Cat said...

I love this with all its blues! What a great backing fabric. Think sewing with a toddler may almost be harder than sewing with a cat!!!

祥明祥明 said...

婚姻對男人來說是賭他的自由,對女人而言卻是賭她的幸福。.................................................................

陳佑發 said...

甘巴嗲!祝你愈來愈好!............................................................