Wednesday, May 12, 2010

nut crusted fish


nut crusted fish
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Fish Baked in a Walnut Crust
serves 4
Ingredients:
1 large fish fillet, enough for at least 4 portions (I had 3 pieces of tilapia)
1 large egg, beaten
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup ground walnuts (I used ground almonds)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
pinches of fresh or dried herbs: thyme, basil, rosemary (I udes herbs d' provence)
a small handful of chives (I skipped this.)
4 clean, unpeeled garlic cloves (I skipped this too.)
olive oil to drizzle (I have one of those oil misters - that I love!)
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350° F, 180° C.
1. If using frozen fish, rinse it and let it sit covered in cold water plus half the lemon juice, for 10 minutes. If using fresh, forgo the lemon water treatment.
2. Put the beaten egg into a large bowl. Swish the fillet around in it, front and back. Make sure all its surface is covered in egg.
3. In another large bowl or large, shallow platter, put the dry ingredients. Mix them up.
4. Lay the fillet on top of the nut mixture, and scooping up more from the sides to pat on top of the fillet. Turn the fillet over. Make sure it’s entirely coated with the dry mixture.
5. Place the fish on a baking tray protected by baking paper. Scatter the chives and garlic on top.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the whole. Be generous but don’t drown the fish. (This is where the mister comes in handy - even when it loses its pressure, the stream of oils is still enough without being too much.)
7. Cover the fish loosely with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the tin foil and bake another 5 minutes to allow the crust to brown. (I forgot to do this...)
Squash the garlic flesh out of the cloves – it will come out of the flat side closest to the root. Put the garlic paste in a small dish and serve to those who like it. You can certainly put more garlic cloves to bake with the fish if you want – just separate them and make sure they get their fair share of olive oil before baking.

MY HUSBAND SUGGESTED ADDING GRATED PARMESAN - probably a good idea.

This flavorful fish is best served with plain rice and a steamed vegetable. (Duely noted.)

As you can see my son liked this dish. My husband was more wishy washy. I could take it or leave it... (It is nice to have in the repetoire & since it is onion free, I can serve it to my MIL.)

Since I got my tilapia at Costco, we will have one more fish dinner tonight - panko crusted. I'll serve it with pasta & red sauce with mozzarella & it will be "like" an eggplant parmesan...

In case you were wondering - yes, the rice made a BIG mess...

2 comments:

hetty said...

If I was Jacob, I would make a mess with the rice too! But I would love that meal. It looks delicious.

Rian said...

Sounds very delicious. I love nut-crusted fish. Usually I just use Panko.