Monday, April 12, 2010

That is my UFO, not your cushion!


That is my UFO, not your cushion!
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

This is actually a miniature of the quilt that would be on my deisgn wall.

You see in addition to this thimble sized tumbler, I have a flower pot sized one as well. (Roughly 12.5 inches wide & high.)

I wanted to make this quilt in JUMBO size. So I cut 49 (7 x 7 layout) 12.5 inch squares...

& then I was going to take a photograph of the pile of squares with the template on top. OOPS - several are 12.5 x 12. Like about 13 of them...

So I am now in a quandry & am asking for advice.
Make the Tumber quilt 6 x 6 instead of 7 x 7 (Because I luckily have 36 squares that are big enough & Cut most of them from fat quarters - so there isn't enough to cut another from the "mistakes.") or make a 7x7 quilt from 12 inchs squares

Please let me know what you think - 6x6 Tumber or 7x7 squares?
(If you choose tumblers, what would you do with the other squares?)

Or choose new fabrics & cut them so that you can go back to the original 7x7 tumbler. (My original plan used dark & medium dark woven taupes - I can probably add some more mediums...)

13 comments:

Mary said...

I would make it from 12" squares. I have done similar things, and just adjust my cutting so that I can make the original plan.

Good luck!

Kat said...

Yeah, I'd do the 12x12 squares as well...no big deal!

pdudgeon said...

the aye's have it...go with the 12 inch squares.

Teaquilts said...

I agree with previous comments. Just recut all the squares to 12", making the 7x7 tumbler quilt.

Kathie said...

make it as big as you can!

Cathi said...

I'm going to be contrary, I suppose -- probably because I love tumblers. I'd do the tumblers and use the left-over squares in the backing somehow.

Susan said...

Or you could put the leftover blocks in BOB (box of blocks). That is where I put orphans and from time to time they come in handy.

sophie said...

You intended to make a tumbler quilt, so I'd stick with that idea, either making it from fewer blocks or slightly reducing the size of your template to fit all the fabrics you've cut.

If it were me, I'd reduce the tumbler template and carry on ... If you photocopied your template at 96% and made a new one from the reduced photocopy, it should fit.

shout4joy said...

go with the tumblers, they will look great! Though I would probably do the squares as I would be discouraged at this point

magicthimblecreations said...

Would it be possible to do the center using the larger tumblers then the sides with partial tumblers? I have seen this done on old quilts and thought it looked nice. Don't forget to add your seam allowance if you change the template. I have made that mistake in the past!

katie said...

maybe use one set for the center and then use the others for the out side with a small border between to adjust for fit.
Katie

Quilter Kathy said...

I would probably do 7x7 from the smaller squares and use the others for a backing. Or I might cut them on the diagonals and use them for setting triangles for a quilt.

Michael5000 said...

"That is my UFO, not your cushion!"

"The two are not mutually exclusive," sez kitteh.