Monday, April 19, 2010

More taupe nonsense & other nonsense from the weekend

1. I hand quilted a mini-quilt - I now have the tell tale pricks to go with a nice paper cut. I also attached a binding & subsequently removed it - it was that bad & not my turn, I am supposed to add an embellishment on this round.
2. This will sound prideful, but I can make a PERFECT hard boiled egg - no green ring. (Too bad that my son was not interested in the resulting tomato & egg gratin that I made with those eggs.) I am a bit prideful about my eggs because I know & am related to so many people who do not own this skill set. (Not that this skill is all the special or valuable. I am probably the only one who even knows/notices.) Meanwhile, onion juice does not feel good in a paper cut or the pricks left over from hand quilting. (If the onion makes your eyes water - it will make a hole in your skin smart too - rule of thumb.)
3. IKEA - how do I love your breakfast so much & yet dislike you flat pack furniture so... (We are going back on Saturday for breakfast & to make the "big" purchase, thanks to my uncle who owns a truck. I guess that I should get something for the crock pot so that I can feed him after making him work. - I'll be getting a six pack of cinnamon rolls too.)
4. Sew-n-Tell, my mini-group. (We did soome sneaky talk without getting caught!) They either took my fabric for personal use or for love quilts - either result is fine with me. Yes sir, yes sir 6 grocery bags full. My cat stash was halved! I also culled my creamy neutrals, my black on blacks, & my blue, yellow, & blue&yellow stashes. & I cut strips from one of my "Kits" so that I can make a spiderweb quilt. (I have finally been caught in that sticky web.)
How can you blame me with all of this inspiration? example 1, 2, 3, & 4 (Just the tip of the iceberg.) Most used this tutorial.
5. Taupe... (Not that I workd on it, just thought about it.)
I like this fabric! My big helper. My new stash space is next to my bed, so I sort with my big helper.
He does not apprear to be a big fan of the wovens. (Though he might have been showing displeasure in my "not that pile" actions.)
DSC09891 & he makes that face when he has "manic hands." (They really do seem to move quicker & with less thought & precision.)
6. On Friday, I am getting a new microwave installed.
7. Next weekend = local quilt show! Last year we walked to the show from our condo - it was so hot & I was wearing my baby.

11 comments:

Lesly said...

Welcome to the spiderweb frenzy - resistance is futile. Lucky you: microwave. We must be the only people on the planet without one - my husband is suspicious of them. Meanwhile we are still without an oven, although the repairman is coming today, allegedly.

Not Lucy said...

I learned the secret of the hard boiled egg with no green ring from my mother. When they are done cooking just cool them quickly. I remove the hot water and add cold water and ice. Works every time!

miniaturequilter said...

He looks so cute, wait till you have to start buying him his own fabric!! Have fun at the quilt show!!!

hetty said...

Cute little helper you have there! He'll be making his own quilts soon. Wow! You got rid of 6 grocery bags full of fabric. Just think how much more shopping you can do now! Glad your microwave problems are almost solved.

Vicki W said...

You've been busy!!

Miri said...

Cute helper!Even if he doesn't become a quilter- it will stick with him. Check out my blog for my son's quilt and how he solved a setting dilemma.

Andi said...

FYI...I just googled "postage stamp quilts" and a post from 2008 was #3 on the list!! I want to make one using the Arizona Flag as the pattern, so I am collecting blue, red and yellow scraps.

julieQ said...

I want the secret! What is the secret to hard boiled eggs without the yucky greenish yuckola!!??

Rhonda said...

Uh, what's the problem with the hard boiled eggs....green rings....I'm not getting that....LOL....
Wow, you are really getting rid of your stash....and your helper, I see, is actively working very hard. He's so cute!

Kay said...

Such cute photos! Thanks for the quilt show pics too.

Michael5000 said...

You know I try never to be contrary, but isn't the trick to boiling an egg just putting it in boiling water for a while? The first time I made boiled eggs, I figured you must have to boil them for a long time to, you know, kill the germs or whatever. I boiled them for three hours. And they were pretty much like all the other boiled eggs I've ever eaten (which is to say, terrific).