Monday, April 26, 2010

Design Wall (2 for the price of one)

This was supposed to be my design wall shot for last Monday:
DSC09837
During my sew-n-tell meeting I cut more of these (mostly the oranges) strips. You see in the distant past - like maybe 5 years ago, this was going to be a quilt as you go Roman Stripes quilt. With the fish as large triangles & the stripes being warm on one side & cool on the other with the black being used as sashing & binding. I apparently do not care for quilt as you go & so this sat & sat & sat. I had many strips already cut - at random widths.... For the better part of 6 months, maybe even a year I have been resisting the urge to make a spiderweb quilt - I finally bit the bullet. My "Kites" will be black & there will be strips of the fish interspersed through out, but most of the fish will be on the back. I just need to finish making strips - especially blue ones!

My current design wall is just a pile of fabrics.
The first one has "all" of the greens that I pulled:
DSC09843
I then culled several & have settled on this selection:
DSC09848
(Would you add any greens from photo one to photo two?)
These will become a Mixtape quilt. I just need to start fussy cutting those martians!

8 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

I would definitely put in the third fabric from the right, top row. You need another dark to balance the solid dark.

Exuberant Color said...

Oops, make that the fourth fabric from the right top row

*karendianne. said...

Wanda's got you covered and I'm thinking "How cool is this?!"

The Calico Quilter said...

I would definitely include the dark olive print, fourth one from the right on the top row, and maybe even the lighter olive print, fifth from the right, too. Of course, you can't get too scrappy for my taste. You might like a little more controlled.

Mama Spark said...

Love them! Who makes the martian print? Adorable!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love that martian fabric! Where do you find unique fabrics like this?!?

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm feeling like I want one TINY bit of yellow as a blender. I realize it's kind of mono-chromatic in greens, I love a little bit of sparkle. I do like Wanda's suggestion too.

It's going to be awesome nevertheless!!!

Mary-Frances said...

Ok, I have to be another to drool over the orange martian fabric - source? Pretty please?