Monday, March 01, 2010

Happy Purim

Yet again, a day late.
This is so much fun mommy!
On Friday night, we went for the Megillah reading.
In case you were wondering, the word Megillah literally means scroll.
DSC00009
In its most common context the word Megillah is used to describe the Scroll of Esther which contains the Purim story and is read twice on that Holiday.
In the Tanach there are four other books referred to as a Megillah: Shir Hashirim (Song of Songs), Rut (Ruth), Eichah (Lamentations), and Kohelet (Ecclesiastes).
The name Megillah (rather than Sefer/book) distinguishes these five volumes from all the others of Neviim (the Prophets) and Ketuvim (the Holy Writings), as they are the only ones officially read in their entirety in public on a specific Holiday.
Colloquially, the word Megillah is also used as a common folk expression to describe something lengthy and detailed. Eg. "I want to hear the whole Megillah".
Jacob was a Penguin.
Purim 2010
Yummy Hamantashen
Yummy
Last year Jacob was an apple.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

He is too cute!!!! If you get a chance, pop over to my blog to watch aa little vidoe of Ayden's hair.
Take care.

Rian said...

What a sweetie. Thanks for the explanation about Purim. That's one of the holidays we gentiles don't know much about.

Pat said...

I do like learning about your various holidays. Jacob looks really cute...and since I love penguins, I heartily approve of his costume choice this year!

dee said...

I love hearing about all this. It brings back wonderful, sweet, memories of my childhood and there aren't a lot of those.
Jacob looks so happy...well.. he is full of hamantashenmmmmmmm so what's not to be happy about. A trip to the bakery is called for, and soon.

hetty said...

That's the cutest penguin I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing your traditions. Another Jewish holiday that I had never heard of before.

Morah said...

I dressed up as a teacher leading the Purim speil.....