Monday, March 08, 2010

Flower pots in Hope Valley


Flower pots in Hope Valley
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

This is what is on my design wall - sortof.

I purchased the flower pot template from pinwheels.com last year. (It is a supersized tumbler - you can get two flower pots out of a fat quarter. They also have one called a sand pail - you can get 4 pails out of a fat quarter.)

I thought that it would make a fun cat charm quilt & yet I never took the paper off the back of the template. At Mid-Atlantic, I liked how they used it (again). & Yet, I sat on the idea - Do I really want to use that many woven Taupes in one quilt?

Then I thought, "How can I use the rest of my Hope Valley fabric?" Followed in quick succession by, "Where is that template?" "How many pots does it take to make a quilt?" "Where is a picture of that quilt?" & finally by "Do I have big enough left overs?" (I thought I would because the primary pattern will use 2.5 inch wide pieces, but I cut a 2.5 wide strip off of both lengths of the fat quarters & I actually took a few off the 18 inch wide side...) Only 1 toe was injured in the cutting of those flower pots - I dropped the template on it.

I found the template while my son played. I tell ya, he loves those cups.

Anyway, this is what I have on my design wall. Next step - try to find a pleasing arrangement in which to sew them together.

5 comments:

Diane said...

can't wait to see the quilt...better a template falling boo-boo than a rotary cutter one I always say.

Quilter Kathy said...

Look forward to seeing what you grow in these pots!

sophie said...

Most of my projects come from the collision of a couple of thoughts about what could have been 2 different quilts . . . so I love this idea ;-)

Melinda said...

I a bunch of large tumbler blocks and can't quite figure out what to do with them. Looking forward to seeing your pots.

Denise :) said...

What fun! We'll enjoy seeing how this progresses! :)