Thursday, February 04, 2010

use it up


DSC09474
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Once upon a time ago, I swapped some fabric for some Heather Ross prints. This & others came from Pajamas (poplin & two are cotton sateen). So the piece was funkily shaped & small. For these, I first took a 5 inch square for my I SPY quilt. I then had to decide what to do with the remains. (Honestly for quite a few fabrics when the remains are under 5 inches square - I toss them.) I then saw Ashley's quilt & I knew exactly how I would use them. So I trimmed them square-ish. Her quilt used 12 prints. So I got going first by buying a dozen Kona solid fat quarters. I sewed them up like mad & then realized that my blocks would not end up 12 inches square... So I decided to do a square 16 block quilt thinking that that would solve my size problem - mind you I had NO idea what size I wanted - just bigger than it was appearign to be. So I got to choose 4 more Kona Solids. (& I was absolutely giddy when I saw Kona Charcoal - my sashing color choice was in stock.) This is a "burgundy." I finished sewing my blocks yesterday afternoon, but I was not ready to tackle the sashing... By the end of the day, I thought a bit more on the size of this now square quilt & figured that it would end up 50 inches square - roughly... Not quite long enough. So I took another trip into my quilting cottons & found 4 more that did not make the last cut "too much white" & decided to make them work. Lucky for me I had recently bought Kona half yards for my Hope Valley quilt - so I had 4 different fabrics that actually "worked" for this quilt too! I cut for the blocks, but I did not sew them.... That is where this Improvisationally pieced quilt is now... So while the "Log Cabin" variation is not very improvisational & the fact that I blog lifted it negates much of the improvisation any way - I do keep changing the size as I go....

2 comments:

dee said...

Hope you're feeling better and the picture of Jacob eating his soup is precious. Had enough snow yet? I know we have but more is on the way. Stay warm.

GRACE said...

have fun with the shovel...you have my sympathy entirely, usually it's maine that gets all that snow...they're talking about a storm next week so maybe the jet stream has moved...