Monday, January 11, 2010

"X" Marks the spot

This a question/answer post...
If you buy those alphabet panels, do you always make an alphabet quilt?

I have purchased SEVERAL. Too many for one boy, ahem.

Then I think that I would like to do a "Jacob" or even a "Jacob Henry" (Pretty clever of us not to repeat letters, huh.) quilt.

That would leave several letters left over - like "X" as an example. Which got my brain thinking the other day & got my fingers pulling fabrics from my stash.

I'd kind of like to make an "X Marks the Spot" quilt. I have pulled, Rx (written, not just the image), Xylophone, X-Ray, Lunch box (written, not just the image), etc. images from my novelty fabric stash. In addition to the "X" letter fabrics & the Alphabet panels.

Am I crazy & alone in this manner of quilty thought? Do you have any "X" fabrics that you can share? I'd love to get the word "fox", an "X" on a treasure map, "X" using sign language, & any other "novel" interpretations of the "X." If you just want to get in on a clever idea - I am collecting 5 inch squares - or 5 inch finished pieced/appliqued/embroidered blocks...

Maybe you can just leave a list of "X" items in my comments... Maybe if you yell out ____ I will then go to my stash & say, "YAY, this boat can be an 'x-boat.'" (Hey many a dinghy has been turned in to a yacht thusly.)

9 comments:

Sweet P said...

What a great idea. If I get into my stash in the next few days I'll see what I can find for "x".

Rian said...

The only word that comes to mind is Sex. The idea is sensational, though. The quilt, I mean...

Jeanne said...

Hmmm, very interesting.
I have fox fabric if you need it -- it's flannel though.
How about "siX"?
Jeanne

Jeanne said...

Tyrannosaurus reX?

Rhonda said...

EXtra, eXtra...read all about it...that's all I can think of....I dont' know if that helps.

hetty said...

I'll look in my stash. My sister's grandson's name is Xavier and I was looking for X fabric at one time, but I couldn't find much.

Kay said...

I know I have no X fabric, but this is a fabulous idea!

*karendianne. said...

Friend, this is a great idea! You know I don't think I have a thing but that wont stop me from looking around or asking around. Hmmm. That's a really neat thing!

Morah said...

I have a sign language X or 17.....