Friday, October 30, 2009

Why I keep Kosher

From this NYTimes article by Jonathan Safran Foer. Recounting a story from his grandmother a holocaust survivor.

“The worst it got was near the end. A lot of people died right at the end, and I didn’t know if I could make it another day. A farmer, a Russian, God bless him,he saw my condition, and he went into his house and came out with a piece ofmeat for me.”
“He saved your life.”
“I didn’t eat it.”
“You didn’t eat it?”
“It was pork. I wouldn’t eat pork.”
“Why?”
“What do you mean why?”
“What, because it wasn’t kosher?”
“Of course.”
“But not even to save your life?”
“If nothing matters, there’s nothing to save.”

Now I do not have an answer as to why I eat meat... I was a vegetarian for a while - because a lb. of beans is a heck of a lot cheaper & lasted a long time... So maybe I eat meat because I can. Which isn't a good answer. I am apparently out of good answers.

Is faux meat any better - isn't that giving the appearance of eating meat? We are going to try Tofu Kielbasa tonight - totally unrelated to this article or train of thought. I saw it on the shelf at the store & decided to give it a go... How else would I know if it tasted like the rubber on a shoe's sole or not?

2 comments:

Ruth's Place said...

We eat vegetarian most nights of the week, and try to limit the amount of red meat that we eat - I rarely cook beef or lamb. We do this for both health and environmental reasons.

Jeanne said...

This brought tears to my eyes.
Sending a hug - Jeanne