Friday, October 16, 2009

The Rest of the Story

Part of my "growing up" occurred in the middle of Texas. (I may have mentioned that previously.)

My father got paid once a month. So we went grocery shopping once a month. (Maybe a slight exaggeration, but only slight.)
I remember that we bought a lot of canned goods & frozen foods.

We also had chickens & a garden. & he had a friend who had a cow - yech.

So that fact that I regularly travel to a multitude of shops is an interesting outcome.

Going from a farmette to a condo is a similar outcome. (Growing up in the summer I swear mowing the grass was a constant chore - now my condo fees pay for lawn service.)

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

We did monthly grocery shopping when I was a kid. It was at a big food-warehouse sort of place, very stark, at the larger town 25 miles away. If I wasn't too much of a pain, I would be rewarded in due course by Pop Rocks. Awesome!

Ruth's Place said...

We get paid monthly here in South Africa, big adjustment when we moved here. So I do a HUGE monthly shop, mostly non-perishables and then do smaller weekly shops for things like cheese, milk and produce. We also get a CSA box fortnightly.

And we also visit at least 2 or three grocery stores each shop...