Monday, October 19, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

I've been writing down the plans at home, but I forget when they say while thinking about whether or not I need to buy anything for dinner, so here goes nothing.

No specific days, because the pasta dishes are not set in stone & because I end up with unforseen leftovers.

1. Beef Goulash - we already had it, but I want to tell its story & share the recipe. (I picked up beef stew meat while running errands, because I knew that nothing was thawed.)

Once upon a time ago, I must have asked for recipes (No, not last Thursday, before that like in 2007!) because I have a couple from Martha in my e-mail recipe folder.

This goulash is one:
beef cubes-bottom round or bought stew meat, carrots and onions-some peas if you want to add at the end-can of tomato sauce, worsteshire sauce and ketchup(how much is up to you-we like it spicy) -six to eight hours
make egg noodles and you have goulash with a kick

I liked that the beef & veggies were cooked in the crock without liquid, which is why I decided to give this a try. Next time I will eliminate the ketchup completely & I added a lot of hot paprka.

2. Salmon Patties My husband will cook these, but you basically open a can or two of salmon, chop an onion, beat an egg or two, mix them with bread crumbs & salt & pepper - form into patties & fry them in a frying pan.

3. Orange Cranberry Turkey Breast. This is a crock pot meal from an honest to goodness cook book. I have not tried it yet & do not have the recipe handy to share...

After this my memory of our plans is fuzzy, but Pasta is a stand by as are Pierogies.

6 comments:

cindyquiltsOR said...

How do you make your pierogies?

I thought I was having company at supper so I cook half a cow yesterday (5.91#, but who was counting?!) The company came but could not stay so I have a lot of roast beast in my fridge.

Thanks!

Cindy B.

hetty said...

Stop! You're making me hungry! Can you cook meat in a crockpot without liquid? I've never tried it that way.

martha said...

We cooked chili tonight and also shepard's pit-two other good cool weather one dish meals.
Def use less ketchup to make the goulash less spicy-may be add some beef broth to add some liquid.

Rian said...

I love salmon patties. My grandma used to make them and I haven't had them in like forever.

Miri said...

MMM, it all sounds so good!

I make tuna patties as well as salmon-I just substitute water-packed tuna. My Mom used to toss the salmon or tuna mix into a pie crust and bake it-really good.

The Calico Quilter said...

Have you ever tried making salmon patties with fine cracker crumbs instead of bread crumbs? Delicious, and if you roll the patties in more crumbs before you fry them you get a lovely crunchy crust.