Wednesday, October 28, 2009

If your feeling droopy have some chicken soupy

Here is my method:

5-ish pounds chicken wings (I find that the bones hold the flavor - wings have a high bone ratio.) I have read about people using a whole bird or other cuts of meat... I wouldn't bother. Unless you were using a carcass - & even then I still don't get the flavor profile that I get from the wings. You could make an argument for using necks.
2 medium onions, quartered (You don't even have to peel them.)
Another small onion to serve with the soup if you like
2 small carrots, halved (or a hand full of those baby carrots)
another carrot to serve with the soup if you like
2 celery stalks, halved
4 rinsed and dried fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs (I use the whole packet)
2 rinsed and dried fresh thyme sprigs (I use the whole packet)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Rinse the chicken wings.
Put them in a stockpot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
Bring the mixture just to a boil over high heat, skimming and discarding the surface skim with a slotted spoon. (Make sure that you do not get a hard boil - that will mix the scum & make a cloudy soup/stock)
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, skimming frequently, for 20 minutes.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns; simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Strain the stock and skim off all the fat that rises to the surface.
Return the stock to the pot and simmer until reduced by one third, about 30 minutes.
Discard the vegetables & herbs. (Honestly, they have done their job - we will be cooking some more carrots to serve with the soup soon.)
Set the chicken aside to allow it to cool slightly.

When I go through the effort, I freeze some of this stock/soup, so I first set aside the portion that we will be eating immediately, I then put the rest into "individual" sized containers - @ 2 cups - what ever is on hand...

I pick the meat out of the chicken wings - I get about 2 cups of meat.
I use some of this in the immediate chicken soup meal the rest is reserved to be made into chicken salad, or to be put onto a green salad.

At this time, I boil egg noodles in water for about 6 minutes. & I boil a carrot that has been cut into bite sized pieces with a roughly chopped onion (I would throw in a chopped celery stalk as well, but my husband does not care for the celery, so it is only in the stock & discarded.) until the carrot is tender.

I make a layerd soup to serve & you can do this ahead...
split the noodles between your bowls (I do this after draining them so that if they stick to aything it will be bowl & not the pot.) do the same with your carrots (I scoop out the carrots & do not worry about the carrot cooking water being added to the soup bowls. Add some chicken to the bowls, then ladle the soup/stock on top.

When I use frozen stock - like last night. & a cold chicken breast - like last night. I heat the chopped chicken in the stock.

Last night, I did not right away get the baby because I wanted to make an apple cake. While the cake was baking, I cooked & served the noodles & cooked & served the vegetables, so that when I got home I only had to chop the leftover chicken breast & heat it in the soup. I then ladled the chicken & stock over the veggies & noodles.

YUM - not that I feel that much better today that I did yesterday, but the soup was a nice respit from the rain.

This post brought to you by the blog author:
Blog Author

7 comments:

sophie said...

It must be soup season. I picked up veggies for making stock in the crock pot this week and butternut squash four soup the next time it turns cold and starts pouring . . . which is predicted to be tonight!

Cathi said...

There's a deli just across the street from us that has the most delicious chicken soup I've ever tasted. But I'm tempted to try your recipe.
Love the picture! :-)

*karendianne. said...

Oh yummy in my tummy! Wish I were there. I appreciate the Blog Author's efforts. Just thought I'd mention that.

Greenmare said...

have you ever tried roasting the chicken in the oven first? it gives it a different flavor.

Teresa said...

Yum...the soup sounds so good on these cool autumn days. I laughed when I saw your keyboard warmer - I have one of those too.

The video is so cute.

dee said...

Our soup is identical except for the chicken wings. I use thighs and get a lot of meat for chicken salad or burritos or enchiladas.It is definitely soup season. I made chicken tortellini soup, pea soup, and tortilla soup in the last ten days. It really hits the spot when you feel crummy.
Hope you're feeling much better soon. My patients are almost better as well....sigh.
I like your secretarial staff

Kay said...

Thanks. It sounds delicious, and I just had dinner :) I've never made it that way, always used a whole chicken, which is less work because of greater proportion of meat to bone. But I believe you about the flavor.