Monday, October 05, 2009

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato soup

This will be part of the soup swap! Get your souper recipe posted & play along!



soup
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas


To begin, this is my type of recipe. 1 pot, simple preparation.
Caveat, I liked the soup, my husband did not. I think the ginger "makes" it, he definately did not care for the ginger.

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium-size Yukon gold or russet potato, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken stock
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and stir together until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the squash, sweet potatoes, regular potato, and stock, and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until all of the ingredients are thoroughly tender.
2. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Adjust salt and add pepper to taste.

7 comments:

Rian said...

That sounds really good. I don't know if I would like the ginger either.

Judy @ daily yarns said...

This sounds yummy!!

stitching under oaks said...

What a grea combo! This sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

julieQ said...

LOL! This sounds so much like dear husband and myself...I baked squash once and he hated it! To me, your recipe sounds so good.

Wendy said...

Yeah, here too! I'd adore this... husband and kids would gag it down and beg me never to make it again! Maybe I'll make it tonight... :D

Jessica said...

I love the sound of this soup--butternut squash and sweet potatoes! I'm going to make it to enjoy when we come home from the apple orchard!

Sweet P said...

This soup sounds extremely yummy! I love butternut squash so I'll have to give it a try.