Monday, August 17, 2009

More loot from the long armer

This could actually be the "tale of two quilts." You see, I repurposed a top into a back.
Let's start that one cloer to the begining...
In the Keepsake Quilting magazine I saw a pattern that made my heart go pitty pat, so I ordered it with the "starter pack" of batik fat quarters.
In the magazine, the quilt looked "winey."
In reality it was just scrappy. So I returned the starter pack & made the blocks winey with batiks. & there it sat for EVER! I can only say that I must not have wanted to deal with the sashing that the pattern called for...
So I ignored it for a long time. I finished several quilts in the mean time... Heck I got married in the mean time... I made a lovely quilt for my husband
NY Jets quilt
close-up:
NY Jets quilt close up (My husband might be a Jets fan.)
& decided to make the same pattern using batiks & Hand Dyeds. (This one sat around for a while waiting for a border - in the end I opted out of the border...) The quilt is also smaller than I remembered... (Stuff changes when you ignore it for a while...)
DSC08499.JPG The repurposed top into a back. I was going to sash it with the blue/green & border it with the purple - I think... By the time I got this far, I had fallen out of love with batiks & wanted to use them up. Isn't that block great - BIAS on every edge, I am so lucky that it turned out so nicely - If I must say so myself. (I bordered those puppies right away to help keep them "square.")
The top:
DSC08497.JPG
I call this pattern "bricks" because the black sashing is like the mortar to the colorful bricks.
The bricks are 2.5 x 4.5 & the mortar pieces are 1.5 x 4.5 & they are sewn together like a rail fence. This pattern was very popular on a yahoo group that I participated in before blogging.
The quilting:
DSC08498.JPG
That idea was totally stolen from Jody & Because I'm me.
& the model:
DSC08532.JPG
He sat there while I photographed my loot & then we hung out for a while plaing with grass & a quilt - he loved it when I would grab the side of the quilt & make him roll!

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love repurposing things!

That little boy is SOOOOOOO darn cute!

Catherine said...

Both those quilts are gorgeous -- love, love, love the "bricks" one. Your baby looks like the happiest little boy around!

Carin said...

Darling! The quilts and the baby!!!

Vicki W said...

That green quilt is the first one that I remember of yours. I have been wanting to make that quilt for a long time.

Kay said...

Great quilt, both of them. BAby's not bad either--

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

I love this quilt pattern and I know its easy and not that big a deal but I just think its brilliant..

Finn said...

The quilts are great but Jacob is the REAL star in this post Amy *VBS*
You've got one of the cutest babies I've ever seen!! Just adorable and what a great smile! Hugs, Finn