Monday, July 06, 2009

Sit right back

& take a trip in the way back machine!

This UFO was started in the fall 2004 (no, it is not my oldest UFO.) after a trip to Skyline Drive. At the time I was active on Stashbusters & into Nickel Quilts. So I traded for some of the fabrics. I was also still into Orientals. There are several in the parts that I have sewn so far. I have no idea why this languished, I still love the concept and the fabrics, the blue triangles have been cut & waiting to be attached to the small squares forever... (I do know that for a while, it was filed meticulously away - aka misplaced/lost.)

The quilt that I am making is Shaded 4-patch from the Nickel Quilts (by Pat Speth) book.

Only I was thinking of piecing my units randomly, instead of they way they are shown (Although the zigzag is pretty neat...), since I am using leafy fall fabrics with a sky blue background- mimicing the falling leaves...

Here is a "mock-up" of my block.
DSC07768.JPG
Here is a pile of nickels (waiting to become the large triangle):
DSC07767.JPG
& a portion of what I have sewn so far:
DSC07766.JPG
Can you see some of those oldies? It really is fun including them in this quilt, those calico browns really do have a fall feel to them! (I am so ready for fall... Not a summer gal here.)

So that is what I am working on, what are you doing?

9 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Amy, this is pretty dern exciting. You're totally lighting up your quilter. Dig it.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a very popular pattern around here. Love your colours!

Kare said...

Pat Speth is the Nickel Goddess, she is so talented!

Rhonda said...

Can't wait to see more. I love nickel square quilts.

Shannon said...

I used to swap all the time. I miss it! I'm a summer girl myself, but fall is okay. I do not like winter!

Desi said...

Love the colors, I am also not a summer fan, a true winter woman, but fall is full of mystical mayhem and love it too.

Miri said...

This is going to be a fantastic quilt! I love scrap quilts because they so completely feed the fabric habit!

Allison said...

That's a big stack, your a busy girl! Thanks for stopping by and linking -Allison

amandajean said...

well, now i'm curious about your oldest ufo. do tell! and now i'm wondering about my oldest ufo...