Thursday, May 21, 2009

I can admit it,

I like dairy foods!
With that said, Shavout, the anniversary of the revelation at Sinai and of the gift of Torah to Israel, is the next holiday in the Jewish Calendar. The Torah itself is compared to milk -- "Honey and milk under your tongue" - and thus dairy products are symbolic of that great day of Sinai. So I need to start thinking about a dairy meal.
So I am calling out to all of you cooks, send me your cheesy goodness! No meat for this holiday, just cheese, glorious cheese!
(Otherwise, I'll make another blintz souffle or stuffed shells maybe a kugle.)

This would be my world famous dairy kugle, a needle casserole.

Kugle
Grease a very large pyrex and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Put 1 LB of cooked medium egg noodles in the pyrex
Mix together in a large bowl:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 pound cream cheese (mixes easier if softened)
1 cup of sugar (you'll also need an additional 4 tb later)
1 pt (16 oz) sour cream
1 tsp salt
4 oz butter
8 eggs
4 1/2 cups milk
Pour over the noodles and stir until combined - it will look VERY soupy
In a small bowl mix 4 TB sugar and some cinnamon (a few tsps?)
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of kugel
Bake for about an hour and 45 minutes, or until nice and golden
Note: You can also make the kugel the day before, bake only for 1 and 1/2 at 350, and before serving cook it an additional 30 minutes.

3 comments:

GRACE said...

i am hoping you mean "noodle" casserole, not needle casserole here....otherwise i might pass...LOL; just goes to show where you mind is these days

Wendy said...

I don't have a recipe, but this lady does:

http://stolenmomentscooking.com/

She's great! ALL kinds of recipes. She has a search-thingy on her site too. I'm sure you'll come up with something from her. =-)

Morah said...

Wow! Remind me not to eat at your house!! I really don't think that a needle casserole will cook to a tender consistency!!