Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Thanks

Did I mention how great you all are? Thanks for all of the supportive comments.
(un)Lucky for Jacob his father is a worrier, so as long as he reads that a baby should be gaining an ounce a day & as long as the pediatrician shows (any) concern, there will be a good dose of worry going around. And then there is the "I don't interfere." interfering savta. (Savta is Hebrew for Grandmother.)

Don't get me wrong, I am worried about all of his spit-up since it really does appear to be equal to the amount that he takes in... But the day care lady says that he doesn't spit up an unusual amount & when I put him down for a nap (back to sleep after the midnight feed) after feeding him he doesn't spit up...

But he is a happy baby. When he is hungry, he will let you know - so by him not complaining all the time, I am led to believe that he isn't starving...

All in all it was nice to read about situations that were not all that different & everything worked out in the end.

Which reminds me of a couple of toddlers that we know. Baby "T" was born first & is "small" to be generous. (-5th percetile) Baby "A" was born second (by several months) & is "big" o.k. "huge." (+95th percentile) Meanwhile they are both happy & apparently healthy... & Baby "T" get's hand me ups! So we have visual proof of the differences in babies, but when it is your own baby...

On the quilty front, I have actually been sewing on my sewing machine! On the I SPY quilt! (I wasn't going to mention it until I had photographic evidence...)

& Jacob is almost able to roll himself over from the back to the front (Planting that foot & pushing = too cute!) & he likes to sit in his Bumbo & I just ordered a high chair!

8 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh my gosh that's so cute the way you describe it with him pushing off his foot.

...huh. utterly shocked to here the Savta taking the "I don't interfere" approach. yes. shocked. shocking!

miniaturequilter said...

Glad he seems to be doing fine, and he does look very happy and healthy, and CUTE!! Keep us updated.

dee said...

Jacob is a beautiful boy and he looks perfect.
My son was born a preemie at 4 1/2 lbs. Once we gave him solid food he never stopped growing. He towers over me now(well most people do-I'm 5"2' but you never forget those days of worry.
Sending you hugs and good thoughts. Our Savta( my MIL) was a nanny to a couple of the wealthy families in my village so I had good interference. Just smile and do what suits you.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

One of my children was a spitter. He was the same way at Jacob's age-not gaining weight but seemed to be eating plenty. Back in 1978 when this was happening they just sort of watched and waited and sure enough, about the time he started rolling over the spitting up stopped and he gained weight steadily. He's now about to turn 31, is 6'4", has a 2 year old son and expecting another son in July. It will be all good soon.

Ms. Jan said...

Well he seems to be making his milestones! Go Jacob!

clothqueen said...

Good for you for being alert to Jacob's weight issues. I agree with Chris that the spitting up will likely stop when he gets more mobile.

hetty said...

Every baby is different. If he is happy and doing things that babies his age do, such as beginning to role over, he must be fine. Go Jacob! Let your motherly instincts take over! And let your husband do the worrying!

Ima Baglady said...

spit up... ahhh those were the days :-p Our daughter never, ever spit up, so when we had our son. Wow! what a difference! If you even looked at him funny, he spit up. It didn't matter when or what he ate. We never had to give him medicine, but we did delay buying new carpeting. Eventually he grew out of it - about when he started standing/walking. He's a healthy 5-year old now.