Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Park City Quilt Show


I'm so late for the show... My number 1 reason for not joining a guild & showing my quilts in real life...
Yesterday, when I saw at least a dozen entries on my bloglines, I decided that I would hold a photo session that evening!
DSC07033.JPG My first question to answer was, "How do I choose just one?" Is it the rag quilt that will be my only rag quilt? The blooming 9-patch that sat waiting forever? Either of my Taupe quilts? Either of the gift quilts for my son? Any of the quilts that I made for my son? The quilt that I made for my husband? The halloween quilt that I made because I had so many cat prints? My wedding Chuppah? My wedding signatures quilt? The authentic Amish quilt? The Plain Spoken quilt that is hanging in my living room? The Metro Blue quilt that I am so glad that I made a while ago becasue I am not so much into blue & brown anymore? My bed sized fish applique quilt - just to prove that I could make a bed sized applique quilt? Either of the two cat charm quilts?
No, if I have to choose a favorite it would be this one:
quilt by my great grandmotherDSC07035.JPG
I love that it is scrappy, I love that it is 100% hand made, I love that it is curved piecing, I love that none of the "blocks" are quite the same or "correct", I love that my grandmother can tell you about the scraps, "I remember wearing a dress made out of that fabric." & I love that my grandmother trusted me with it. It was made by my great grandmother, Edna Lane in the 30's.
That would be his great great grandmother!
DSC07038.JPG

27 comments:

Notjustnat said...

Such awesome quilt that your grandmother made. I love it and thanks for sharing with us - Natima

dee said...

Thanks for the quilt history and the darling model. It's a beautiful quilt and scrappy is my favorite as well.

Catherine said...

Your stacks of quilts are gorgeous to look at -- all those wonderful colours!
The antique quilt that your grandmother made is absolutely fabulous!! I love drunkard's path blocks and love looking at that picture!

Carol said...

I'm the first quilter on my side of the family so I love seeing family heirlooms. Love the picture of your two treasures :)

jlk said...

That is an amazing quilt. Thanks for sharing!

teodo said...

A wonderful quilt by a great grandmother.
Your Baby is fantastic.
ciao ciao

blushing rose said...

What a cutie .. baby & quilt. How lucky you are to have her quilt.
Come join me ~ TTFN ~~ Marydon
feedsack.biz

Zonnah said...

How precious and beautiful :)

Lisa D. said...

That quilt is a treasure. No wonder it's your favorite!

happy zombie said...

Beautiful quilt... beautiful treasure. And beautiful model too!

Serena said...

Just AMAZING. I love quilts that contain more than just "fabric", that hold stories that can be told by the quilter. very nice!

ROZ said...

Wonderful quilt. And an heirloom, too

miniaturequilter said...

Nice stack of quilts!! What a wonderful heirloom to pass to your son, it's beautiful!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

What an awesome quilt. And what a wonderful family heirloom.

Jody said...

Very neat! And the model ... oh my goodness, he's too precious. How is he doing with eating and weight gain?

Elizabeth said...

You're not late, just look it's not even the 25th yet. That would be late...and besides with a little one you're always on baby time anyway.

Your list of quilts is amazing and your Great Grandmother's handmade quilt is certainly a treasure for the ages.

Quilt Rat said...

I love quilts that have such incredible memories in every fabric and stitch. Of course it would just have to be a favourite.

Shasta said...

I can see why that would be your favorite. It is wonderful - and your son does a wonderful job modeling for it.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Well, I have to say, I loved it too as soon as I learned it was a true scrappy made by grandmother!

Miri said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the wonderful fabrics and the Drunkard's path pattern - and the circular quilting! - just lovely!
What a wonderful family heirloom you have!

Carlotta said...

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's quilt. I love the scrappiness as well. I'm always amazed at how beautiful a handmade quilt looks. I can just imagine the time and love she put into making it.
~Tootles for now!

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

Beautiful quilt!! You have so many to choose from! I'm going to have to check out your blog more :) Thanks for sharing!

Rhonda said...

It is very hard to choose but you did good. Our grandmothers were really awesome weren't they? And I think they would be so proud of us too. Take care.

hetty said...

You chose the right quilt! Your grandmother did an awesome job! I love the contrast in the photo - between the old (quilt) and the new (Jacob)!

Tanya said...

Yes, the stories in hand made quilts are inspiring. Each fabric is given love again when sewed into a hand pieced quilt.

stitchinpenny said...

So much to love in the craftsmanship and the memories associated with this wonderful quilt.

Rose Marie said...

That quilt deserves the honour and your little guy approves.