Monday, March 23, 2009

Rainbow Cake

Is that a Baltimore thing? A Jewish thing? Anyway we needed to go to Baltimore this past weekend & the thought alone made me crave Rainbow cake.

So I just googled rainbow cake & found caked iced with rainbows - not what I wanted to find, so I added the adjective "Jewish" & found this:

"Jewish Deli Rainbow Cake Recipe Wanted My husband is from Baltimore and grew up eating that wonderful Rainbow cake from the delies back there. Now we live in Southern California and Hanukah is just not the same without it. Its sort-of like pound cake but died red, green, yellow and chocolate with chocolate icing and some type of fruit jelly filling. Can anyone help me recreate this dessert?"

Maybe it is a Jewish Baltimore thing...
(If you are in Baltimore, Goldman's is my preferred bakery for this delicacy & I prefer the jelly filling over the chocolate.)

BTW They kind of look like these cookies - only bigger like a cake. (& I "can" get similar cookies in the DC area, but they ARE NOT THE SAME.)

Now I need to check the aluminum foil package in my lunch bag - could it be a slice of cake?

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hmm, I've never heard of Rainbow Cake. BUT big surprise when I clicked on your photo! In my universe we call these 'layer bars'. I baked them for Christmas for many years -- Nick and Dave still hope for them but it's a p-i-t-a recipe! :) Nowadays Nick buys them at an Italian bakery in Boston. So we've always thought of them as a traditional Italian sweet. Small world, huh?

Jeanne :)

Catherine said...

I had never heard of a rainbow cake or seen anything like those cookies. They look incredibly tasty - and incredibly picky to make!!

Rian said...

Never heard of Rainbow cake. (Southern Calif, lots of Jewish friends)

Mia said...

I am actually looking to make a rainbow cake! I know that there are multiple layers of different colors, there is a thin layer of raspberry jam separating each layer, and that it is frosted in chocolate icing...

annamoore said...

http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake.html

Helaine said...

The best place in Baltimore to find rainbow cake is Sions, not Goldmans! You should try going there next time. It's amazing! I wish I could find a good recipe too!

JBL said...

I too live in Southern Cali and am from Owings Mills and Lenny's has the best by far. This is what I've found...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-07-20/entertainment/bs-ae-recipe-finder-rainbow-20100720_1_maria-scheufele-cup-cocoa-chocolate-icing

Wendy said...

Thanks to you, I now have the recipe I've been looking for! I *could* drive to Baltimore (it's not that far) but my kids want us to make it! So we'll try! Thanks.