Friday, March 20, 2009

I remember how that became an UFO...

This all started after I went to a LQS with my son & we chatted about the I SPY quilt on the wall. (I had set I SPY aside thinking that it was a better toddler than baby quilt, but I really liked talking to him about the images...)

So I decided to look at my I SPY quilt squares/plans again... The pattern that I am going to use is called stretched stars or x-quisite most often. I am using Pat Speth's Nickel Quilts book for the pattern. (You can see her Autumn Stretched Star here.) So for a twin sized quilt you need about "X" number of novelty charms. I have at least 3X (3 times more than I need) some are duplicates, others are triplicates, but there are quite a few singletons. As you might have guessed, far too many are cat related - cat on a fence, cat doing laundry, you get the picture. I also have a lot of bugs for some reason...

So last night, I pulled all of the "blue" ones, the baby ones & the masculine ones. After trying to verify no repeats, I still had X+ way too many. So I pulled the ones that could be classified as adult - a "Tiffany" lamp, etc. I still had X+ too many... I kept culling, "Do I have too many bugs?" until I got down to "X." Now I am thinking, what about those prints that I have not cut charms from yet? Like the Blue VW Vans by Heather Ross that I was SOOOOOO lucky to be able to trade for! (Silly me, I was trying to be frugal when shopping & only purchased the pink ones...)

& I remember how this became a 2 twin quilt minimum project... (I am not up to 4 minimum - 1 in blue, 1 in lavendar, 1 in cats, 1 for mommy using the "adult" charms & my very favorite ones.)

Did I also mention that I have another I SPY pattern with charms at the ready...

5 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

That's OK. After he memorizes everything in the first I Spy you just pull out another one and he is good for a couple more years.

paula, the quilter said...

He will be one lucky little boy. I nominated you for the Sisterhood Award on my blog.

Greenmare said...

you can never have too many charms. wink~

Beth said...

just make multiples! or lots of mini quilts? then he will never bore of them..

Mary said...

Aren't novelty fabrics fun? I've saved the bits and pieces from all the kiddie donation quilts I've made over the last several years planning an I Spy. Still haven't made one yet but The Happy Block Quilts I've been doing for HeartStrings come close. Ami Simms book has my favorite I Spy versions.