Monday, March 30, 2009

a bit of a scare

As you may or may not have known, Jacob is not gaining weight as we would like.
We have had several weight check appointments & we are supplementing with formula & baby cereal. Our last weight check was about 2.5 weeks ago & he weighed 11 pounds. (maintaining/gaining from the previos week.)
So today was his 4 month well baby appointment.
Plop that baby on the scale &.... 11 lbs. (Oh no! But he is a happy baby, but he is an active baby, but he is an engaged baby, but he feels like he weighs more, but he weighs more on the home scale...)
In addition to the regular check-up stuff we make plans to help figure out the problem... (not limited to but including a referral to a pediatric gastrointerologist) Then the doctor say's lets check his weight again.
Thankfully he had that thought, because he is actually closer to 12 pounds!
(We are going to the GI doctor on Thursday anyway - Jacob spit up a lot while at his appointment this morning & he has been on baby Zantac for a month.)

So while seeing the 11 pounds gave us a scare, his situation is not as dire as it was...

Everything else is fine - length, head circumfrence, joints, social interaction, etc. He had 3 shots, but was fine after a bit of feeding. :o) (If nothing else, nursing really does have a calming effect for both of us.)

& he gets to start eating baby cereal in addition to just drinking it. :o)

12 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Well this is good news that he's okay but a double check sounds good, ha?

You sound great and I'm not surprised because you're a cool Mommy like that but I just thought I'd send a long some "mommy support and hugs" in case you might find need of a little support. You can stash my hugs in your hip pocket and pull 'em out as needed.

hetty said...

As long as he is happy, active, engaged and otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. I think most babies are too heavy these days! Just enjoy those nursing times!

Diana said...

Getting him checked out is a good idea, but breastfed babies tend to be leaner than bottle fed. If he's growing, I wouldn't worry too much. Still, I'll keep a good thought in mind for you!

Kay said...

This is probably nothing, but of course you worry. I hope the cereal does the trick.

Rhonda said...

Your baby sounds very happy and healthy......hey he even knows when to spit.....on the doctor.....LOL....I'm sure everything is fine. Take care.

Jody said...

Hugs to you. I know how scary that can be. River is 12 lb. 7 oz., so not huge himself, but I see such a happy energetic bundle of joy growing, just at his own pace. My third and fourth were labeled as failure to thrive ... but they weren't, they just had their own growth curves ... and are now absolutely fine and happy as clams.

I bought a postal scale and weighed the babies on that (naked, in a huge bowl) and just kept feeding them as needed.

It's impossible not to worry though, isn't it? I think that's just part of being a loving caring Mama.

Hugs to you and your beautiful boy.

Sheridan said...

You've had a tough time, yeah? Been there done that with the worrying; it's hard to go through. Hopefully he is just doing things at his own pace.

Good luck!

Ms. Jan said...

I'll keep you all in my thoughts, Amy. My daughter Kate was small at birth 6 lbs 4 oz and a slow gainer and only weighed 17 lbs. at one year. She'll be 31 in 3 weeks and doing just fine. Stay calm.
xoxoxo

Chocolate Cat said...

They are all different and grow at their own pace and as long as he is active and engaged (and super cute with it)!! Glad the doctor decided to reweigh him !!!

McIrish Annie said...

I agree! as long as he is happy and active, don't worry. There is too much emphasis on BIG babies. My dh and I are not big people so why would my son be a giant?

I know your dh is a tall drink of water but i'm sure Jacob will catch up in time.

Margaret aka Supermom said...

Some babies are just small. No other way around it. I have one that was in the 60-70th percentile as an infant, and is now the size of a 3-1/2 year old (he turns five in 2 months). Is he proportional...length to weight? My chub was also a spitter - never had a meal that he didn't spit up until he started on cereal! And that misconception of breast fed babies to formula is just that. None of mine drank formula and two were in the 50-70th percentile (and their father and I are both little people - 5'2" and 5'7")

cindyquiltsOR said...

You know, Sweetie ... he has a different agenda. He will grow in due time, at his own pace.

One of mine doubled his take home weight in 6 weeks (and 30# at 9 months!), the next one only made it to 18 pounds in a year.

HAPPY has to have some value.

Nurse him, enjoy him ... time goes too fast.