Thursday, February 26, 2009

This old quilt

First, We'll start with the story of this quilt.
DSC06302.JPG She measures about 31 inches square.

Believe it or not, there are still people out there who do not know what quilts are for...

Background: I was in an adult education class that included a group service project. While discussing what we could possibly do as a group, I told them about how quilters (myself included) often donated quilts to charity & I mentioned a few of the biggies like Project Linus.

One of the gals in my class had been given a quilt for her daughter (13+ years earlier) at a baby shower. She did not know what to do with it (It had just been in her closet).

ASIDE: At that time, I was only going through infertility treatments, so I had no hands on experience with babies. So I thought about how I would use a quilt with a baby.

PICTURE Amy as a 7 year old girl with a doll swaddled ALL THE TIME.

Little did I know that I would "NEVER" swaddle or carry my baby in a quilt. I use Jacob's quilts during tummy time or as a "blanket" over his stroller for the most part. (We keep our house "warm.") So I understand why she & others do not know how to use a quilt with a baby. (It doesn't exactly work like when you played with dolls.)

To end the story, she brought me the quilt to donate to charity.

Purely by coincidence Wanda recently posted this quilt. (Very odd to see hers knowing that I just uploaded mine...)

Which is actually similar to what Cathi has been working on. (I hate to think about the amount of work that went into the one that just sat in a closet...)

I'm donating it here. (I know that it gets cold in the mountains & I have seen that kind of poverty, so I know that this is the place for my little quilt.)

7 comments:

Suzan said...

Great idea! Thanks for the link!!

jovaliquilts said...

That's one I hadn't heard of before, but it sounds like a great idea.

Exuberant Color said...

Well Cathi certainly inspired that block to come out of hiding didn't she?

Kay said...

I know that few people use quilts for actual baby covers now. Tummy time is about it. It's too bad, because people make and give these to friends and family so happily. I've never really thought that mine were used much, so I don't care, but some people must be hurt. Thanks for the link. I hope all the charity quilts are used, but I wonder.

Of course, older children can use quilts, but I'm not sure they do either. My grandchildren, a year and a half, old enough to be safe from SIDS, don't use quilts in bed. They have heavy zip-in sleepers. Too bad. I think there's such a thing as cuddle deprivation!

Libby said...

What a great place for quilts to go. I've bookmarked the site *s*

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for this info - I've already let my long arm quilter know - bet the two of us can create several quilts for those children...

Thanks!!!

Greenmare said...

this is great! thanks for linking to the mountain baby quilts site!!