Friday, November 21, 2008

the simplest/quickest soup ever - t-minus 5 days to go!

So last night (yesterday afternoon) I sat on the couch thinking about a couple things.
1. If the cats did not look so comfy, I would sew some of those strips onto the those blocks...
2. If the cats did not look so comfy, I would run to the store to get some mushrooms.
3. If the cats did not look so comfy, I would start dinner.

Then I remembered (with a little help from the new kitchen cabinets) that I had a box of Imagine brand portobello mushroom soup (I was thinking that it might work in a recipe that called for cream of mushroom - it wouldn't it so does not have that gloppy consistency). I also made the initial purchase because it was dairy free.

Since it is dairy free (& I think gluten free) I was able to make chicken muchroom soup! (Remember the mushrooma above - back then I was gung-ho & thinking about home made cream of mushroom soup - at probably 100 times the calories.)

The night before, I roasted a chicken. (Roast it one day, eat is for several - works for me!)
My roasting method: Pre-heat the oven to 425 F, rinse the chicken & pat it dry, chop up potatoes, carrots, onion & a lemon, place the potaotes, carrots, & onion on the bottom of your roasting pan. stuff the bird with the cup up lemon, place the bird onto the vegetables. oil the bird & pepper it (You could use butter &/or salt at this time, I use pre-brined kosher birds, so I don't.) bake it for 1.5 hours...

So my "recipe"
empty the box of soup into a sauce pan.
chop up one chicken breast (you could do more)
heat through & serve!

I used the leftover chicken in a new (& exciting) way... I used a box of soup that was in the pantry! It took about 5 minutes total! All are good things in my book.

BTW That soup is pretty tasty & I make a lot of soups from scratch.

8 comments:

Libby said...

Love the 't-minus' countdown . . . I grew up in the aerospace world with lots of launch countdowns *s*
I'm just so excited for you. Have a great weekend - make it memorable!

Rhonda said...

Yummy! I love quick and easy. To of my favorite words. Take care.

JoAnna said...

Amy - I made you a doll quilt for one of the swaps. Anyway, good luck at delivery. I had a planned c-section with my 2nd daughter on November 26th in 1993! She sure hates that occasional Thanksgiving birthday!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Okay got it. And now we're really getting close... exciting.

Greenmare said...

sounds good! you can cook while I hold the baby for you!

Ruth's Place said...

Hope all goes very well over the next few days!

Really looking forward to see some baby pictures :0

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Hey Amy! Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you during this final week. I am very happy for you and your husband that your long awaited for baby will soon be in your arms!
Cheers!
Evelyn

Karen Dianne Lee said...

We're really close now.