Tuesday, November 04, 2008

red & red

I have a "___-load" "ton of" a lot of red prints.

Once upon a time ago, I was going to do a "copy" of Kaffe Fassett's red with chartreuse courthouse steps quilt. I am not so much grooving that idea any more.

Kay has a lovely red star quilt started... Love like I do, that is not where I want to go either...

But I am not sure exactly where I do want to go...

All I know is that I want my blocks to be red & red.

So I am soliciting ideas from you dear readers. You see if you say applique red hearts on to red bases, I can then cut a relatively small chunk of fabric off of my reds & cull the rest...

I just need to know (or hear some swell ideas) on what block to do...

(Nothing hard will be considered, so even thougth I love New York Beauty, I don't see myself doing it - ditto Mariner's Compass, etc.)

13 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I will be watching your comments, as I have been collecting reds, too. I have had several ideas, all now discarded.

Catherine said...

Red hearts on red is one idea -- but what about red kitties on red for applique? If it's applique that you want to do, that is.
What about a simple 9-patch? They can be really interesting.

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Red nine patches are a great idea. Love that.

Kay said...

I did a red snails trail a while back. I used all sorts of reds for the darks, and red and white and pink fabrics for the lights. I still like it. That color approach would work for the 9-patch too.

Hey, thanks for the plug on my stars, too!

Teresa said...

Anything in red will be fabulous in my book....one of my favorite colors. I like the idea of nine patches, but a strip quilt would be cool too - so many blocks to choose from.

Greenmare said...

Okay I totally understand red and red, because that is one I want to do someday too. What about red maple leaves, LOTS of them? and then when you cull, you just slide those extra reds my way...........
okay it was worth a try right?

Mary said...

red and blacks nine patches

maybe a snowball block for the alternate blocks or set on diagonal

Patchwork Penguin said...

There is a block on www.quilterscache.com called Buckeye Beauty. I think it is similar to Jacob's Ladder. Anyway, I've often though of doing a 'scrappy' red and off white quilt. I love red quilts.... probably cause red is my favorite color.

Hugs!!!

em's scrapbag said...

My friend did an elongated 9patch with all reds and it was stunning.

Ruth's Place said...

scrappy red and white Irish chain, with red kitties appliqued on the white inbetween blocks.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

Heres a link to an easy top I made that would great in reds. Its just a nine patch and snow ball with a border that finishs out the stars... can be done with 4 patches too or 9's. What ever you come up with it will be great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2ndavestudio/143155803/in/set-72157601130082890/

sophie said...

I saw this easy quilt pattern recently and thought it would be a great way to show off a bunch of reds - Black and White and Red All Over Quilt. I'm not sure if it's red enough to meet your goals.

The Calico Quilter said...

How about a red and white Log Cabin? That would be striking!