Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Kismet?

Yesterday I asked about how to use my red & red stash. Last night before getting ready for the election results, I caught the end of an episode of Georgia Bonesteel's Lap Quilting show. She was traveling in Cajun Country. At the end of the episode, she showed 2 quilts, one was a 9-patch (The kind with a bigger center square) & the she showed how to rotary cut it (with her trusty grid at her side including the seam allowances). Many people suggested red & red 9-patches...

How do these numbers sound? (I did not grab my pen & paper quick enough.)

Start with two 10 inch squares stacked on top of each other. Using your rotart cutting ruler, measure over to 7.5 & cut, then bring the ruler back to 2.5 & cut again. Rotate the block (or cutting mat) and do the same two cuts again.

Not that I am 100% sure that this is the route that I am taking or not yet... The one she showed had sashing & corner stones & the quilt looked like it needed them... They would make me deviate from the red & red plan... & as of right now, I still want to stick to that plan.

Still soliciting ideas...

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I don't have any specific ideas because red is probably my favorite color and I think every quilt looks great in red and white!

Miri said...

The numbers are right. Interesting way to cut-starting with a square, so you get the small squares, the large square and the rectangles from that fabric. I'll have to try it, Thanks.