Friday, November 14, 2008

Another quilt & random stuff

DSC05700.JPG
DSC05701.JPG
DSC05702.JPG
DSC05703.JPG
DSC05704.JPG

I liked a lot of things about this quilt - as you can probably tell. Except that it was hung to high...
I like the scrappy binding. I like the mix of machine & hand embellishments. I like the insects. I like the use of the Kaffe Fassett fabric. I like that it is mostly monochromatic. (I even like the baby poo yellow color choice.) I like that each panel is similar but different...

Does anyone else like it?

Many thanks to all of the people that I have asked about snow ball quilts... (Libby & Rachel - specifically off the top of my head.) After e-mailing Libby, I finally conceded that I need to measure my big squares (again). You see, I got some taupe charms :o) that I thought were 6 inches... But the edges are pinked... After pulling out my ruler this morning, I will be trimming them down to 5 inches... (They are about 5.5, but the edges are pinked & while I don't do "wonky" I am not always the most careful sewer, so I don't need the extra drama afforded by pinked edges..)
BTW this is the quilt that I hope to recreate...

One more other random item...

So I live rather close to Washington DC. So I will be off from work on Inauguration Day. (Without questioning the fact that I will have an infant at that time - this is pure speculation) Should I go to the Inauguration?
I've never even considered it before...
I know the answer is, "NO." But I am still asking the question, mainly because so may people are travelling from so far to attend...
In general, my answer would probably be no, I don't care so much for the crowds... Not to mention that the weather in mid-January is usually less than "nice."
But, this question has been rattling around in my brain for a while...
It seem like one of those things that I should do... (Not unlike, I should go see the DAR quilts in person, I should go to the top of the Washington Monument, I should walk across the Bay bridge, etc.)

13 comments:

Not Lucy said...

That is a tough question. Just because of the weather and the baby it could be a bad choice but it is an historic event. But then, I am not big on crowds either, though the baby will be pretty portable still at that point. But...

Yep, that is a tough question! Good luck with it!

I do like that insect quilt also!

Rian said...

Love the buggy quilts!

K, M & little C said...

Did you make that quilt!! It's absolutely amazing and stunning. I'm in LOVE with it. Thanks for you nice comments on my blog, by the way. We are both preggo, though you are much farther along than me. The inaguration is a tough, I would say it could be worth it (if you can get tickets that is) but it depends on your baby. Our first was colicky so big events were out of the picture. Plus, the germs of the crowd for a young one with no immune system of its own, where will you change the diaper, what if you have a blow out? Lots to consider. Though you will be able to tell them...

martha said...

I like it better than the hamburger! I actually saw this on anther blog this morning so I guess it is liked well enough. If you can get tickets and a babysitter then go! If it is a matter of standing behind huge crowds and carrying a newborn around in the cold -stay home:)

Andi said...

Depends on the weather...could you get a spot along the parade route? I went to the 1996 Inauguration and it's nice to say I was there, but overall, meh. Watch it on TV ;-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Save yourself the drama and stay home... waaaaay too many logistics and just too many opportunities for something to go wrong - you'll actually see more on TV and you'll eliminate the germ/crowd risks... A healthy you and a healthy baby are more important than saying "I was there" ...

Libby said...

Huge crowds are not my thing at all. I think seeing an inauguration is one of those things I would probably suck it up for. Now when you add in an infant, I'd most likely say, 'Nah,' and get on with my day. If you suppose you will be living in the area for some time, there'll be another inauguration in 4 years and four after that and four after that. By that time The Kitten will be old enough to accompany you and take in a little history, too.

Mama Koch said...

I'll come take care of the kitten and you can go. It would be fun to go see, but I wouldn't like the crowds or be out in the cold...so, me and the kitten could cuddle and stay warm!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

I'd like to daydream and talk about going but I'd probably back out of it.

Catherine said...

I actually like that quilt -- it's so different.

I'd be tempted to go -- but only if you had a babysitter and knew you could actually find somewhere where you could see/hear. Otherwise, you probably would be able to see more on television.

dee said...

The quilt is amazing and I love it.
Keep the kitten at home. Too many bugs (the sick kind) floating around already. By January it will be one large cloud of horror. James went everywhere with us but not until he was a few months old.
Really like the snowball blocks and those taupes are so you that now when I see a taupe quilt I think of two things-you and a Japanese quilter. These shades of taupe are so peaceful.

Kay said...

I'd try to go, but taking the baby might be tough. Maybe wait and decide based on the weather--

I like that quilt too, which surprises me, because I've never seen the charm in bugs.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

I would go a few days before to see everything clean and ready but miss the crowds. or plan another time. Jan 20 is going to be insanely crazy!
If you watch it on C Span you get to see more...