Sunday, November 09, 2008

Advice needed...


73
Originally uploaded by DLQuilts

How would you cut your fabrics for this quilt? (I am not cutting & sewing as I go...)

Would you start with a block size? (12 inches)
Would you then pull 3-5 pieces of fabric to make a block out of... (varying widths so that you can get up to 12+ inches)

I am probably dealing with mostly fat quarters, so I doubt that "cut of a width of the fabric" will work...

Although I do believe that I have a GREAT mix of fabrics from light red, to burgundy. I tried to avoid aggressive pieces that did not feel monochromatic, like bold prints.

I don't have "big" issues with piecing the logs - or with inserting other bits to make the logs big enough...

Any other ideas?

I've cut the 2.5 (some times bigger, because I did not clean the edge as I went - thinking that I can do that later - since I need to press most of them anyway.) inch strips for the red quilt that uses red on whites in addition to the monochromatic reds.

5 comments:

Nicole and Phil said...

I would cut them up into strips as long as I could,at varied widths, and just start sewing around squares or rectangles.

Once they are big enough for you, you can them cut them down a bit to make sure they are all at 10" squares, 9" squares, or how ever big you want the blocks.

As long as your blocks are all the same size, what happens in the middle will all work!
Enjoy....I might add this to my idea pad too!

Cher said...

I would agree with Nicole-cut your center squares/rectangles and the various strips to go around until you get the size you want. This will be a fun quilt to make

jovaliquilts said...

I've made something similar, and just used strips of varying widths, being careful near the end that, when trimmed to size, I wouldn't end up with a teeny tiny strip on the edge.

julieQ said...

Yes, above advice is good! This seems like a terrific way to use up scraps too. An all scrappy version would be neat!

Rian said...

I don't have the answer, but I sure like that quilt! I wanted to make a log cabin quilt for the guest room but after I made that miniature I have decided to go for something simpler. I like the look of this one and will be following your progress.