Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A whole lotta nuthin & a bit of everything

I survived the long weekend with my family & my MIL.

It became set that my father (et.al.) would come to dinner on Friday on Thursday at 8 in the evening. (Good thing I already had the tomatoes - we were going to have them anyway.) So we commenced to cleaning & putting stuff away. ACK - while it may be untidy, I know where stuff is - unless my husband absconds with it & does not return it...

My father asked what time dinner was going to be, I replied, "6:30-7." (aka When my husband gets home.) Then he asked, what time do you get home, I replied "4." So while I was chopping tomato guts, my father, grandparents, & uncle descended upon my hascienda. (I had a short break to get a parking pass from the "super" (No idea where the ones we were issued are located - one of those things that gets misplaced when you "clean.")


While I was preparing, my father was snapping photos like a mad man... I mean paparazzi crazy...

But also in that time period, I got one of the best compliments from my uncle. "Where is you cat box?" "Usually when you go into someones house with cats, it smells like cats, I don't smell cats." (We have a cat box in the hall closet - aka cat room - with the door open all the time.)

Speaking of the cats, my grandmother reported that they were much nicer. I explained that they were on their home turf. (When I lived in Baltimore, once or twice I brought them over for a visit...) Crazy cat ladies raise you hand in the air like you just don't care!

Everyone liked the tomatoes (as usual, that recipe is a no fail - BTW when it is just the two of us, I just chop up the tomatoes and bake it like a casserole instead of stuffing the tomatoes - but I needed to impress the family.) & the babka that was in the freezer, thawed nicely & was devoured too. :o)

The best part of the evening - minimal begging from the cats! :o) Even when I cook vegeterian, the come over to make sure that they don't want a bite too. I know, bad mommy...

Saturday was a complete blur... but I did take a minute to read my American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. I had a weak moment & ordered this kit: Haute Chocolates

I looked through & liked it... I went back & read about it - it has Japanese taupes (with some other fabric) - of course I like it! It will look GREAT in my living room. (I am not so much a fan of the HST's, but there are only 640 of them in this quilt...) My husband ordered a different fabric for the outer border & I may switch out some of the "other fabric" for more taupes... (I can use the kitted border print & other switched out fabrics on the back.)

Since the house was already "clean," I did not drag out my sewing machine before the arrival of my MIL, rather I worked on binding. I got one quilt completely bound & it is on my bed - nice & cozy - I think it has a wool batt... & I am 2/3 - 3/4 finished with a second binding. (That quilt may have a silk batt.)

So on Sunday, my MIL leaves NY at about 5:30 in the morning & drives down to see us (the baby bump) before the arrival. This was one of the more awkward visits - she wasn't tempered by her husband - I guess... She has definate ideas about baby names - can't wait to hear her honest opinion on our choices... (We are not telling anyone yet - bad luck - much to my father's chagrin.) So we caught up at our place & most everything was fine - then she offered to get Upper kitchen cabinets for us. (We have 12 foot ceilings & standard 30 inch high cabinets. but not very many of them - as in not enough of them, so we have stuff on top of the cabinets & on the counters.) My husband meanwhile is busy with, "You need to save your money for XY&Z." To which she replied, "I haven't offered to help with XY & Z." She also offered to hire a baby nurse for the first week - still thinking about that one. But I went to a kitchen design store on Monday!

Then she takes us out to lunch - no big deal, but my one extra stop, turned into several stops including an awkward shopping in the baby store experience...

Finally we get back home & she is on the road by 4... (Totally weird day!)

Yesterday, I went to a Kitchen design store & apparently "just adding another set of cabinets over the existing cabinets" was not in their bag of tricks - so I went through their plans for my kitchen... Meanwhile, my smart husband called to get the "budget" always a good thing to have... We have a contractor who will come out on Saturday...

Anyhow that about sums up my totally weird, busy, & exciting weekend. To think if I was in Canada - I could have been having turkey. Happy belated Thanksgiving to my neighbors to the North. (& East, even though there is a Governor who did not realize that while thinking about her Foreign policy experience - seeing Russia from an uninhabited island way out there in the Bearing Sea was more impressive I guess.)

7 comments:

Suzan said...

So glad I am not the only one with an "unusual" family!!

Catherine said...

Families can always be counted on for "interesting" days, it seems.
That quilt kit looks gorgeous! I love it!!!

Libby said...

Families do make life interesting, don't they? Sounds like you managed with grace and maybe a well chewed tongue *s*

Lisa D. said...

Sounds like you had a nice (although hectic) visit with your family. I am green with envy that you ordered the Haute Chocolate kit. I really want that, but need more fabric like a hole in the head. I'll have to drool over yours. Quick - make it before the baby comes!!!

Kay said...

Grab that baby nurse! Hope the kitchen do over and the baby don't coincide :)

I saw that quilt and loved it too.

Not Lucy said...

What would the baby nurse do? If he/she would take care of the baby during that first week I would recommend instead a housekeeper who would cook and clean and take care of you so you can take care of the baby yourself!

Nancy said...

I like the idea of not telling the name(s) ahead of time. People always seem to need to comment, and if they don't like the name, it is awkward. When my last child was born, I phoned people that day and said, "Hello! This is Andrew's mommy!" They loved it.