Friday, October 03, 2008

What my cats do all day while I am at work.


What my cats do all day while I am at work.
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Here is my big boy. Do you see how he is not working on that binding... I may need to work on that sewing lesson a bit more...

Speaking of binding, I did get my binding onto the Doll Quilt. I am getting close to having 5 out of 8 things done my Thanksgiving. (Yes, I am avoiding my albatross...)

If you use Minky with a top, do you add batting? I am not sure if it is necessary... I plan on wrapping the wide border to the back for a self binding & finishing that on the machine. The border is 10 inches wide, I hope to end up folding it in half, so that the machine stitchig is along the seam where I attached the border. I chose 10 inches, because I thought that I was going to be able to "shirr" the two edges - ending up with a ruffley "puffy" border - I think the foot that I was sold goes to a serger, not my sewing machine... BTW This is the yellow quilt on my list. The center is a beautiful Alexander Henry bird print.

7 comments:

Suzan said...

I keep hearing that working with Minkee is a nightmare. My granddaughter wants a quilt with Minkee on the back so when you quilt yours, let me know how it goes!

Exuberant Color said...

It all depends on whether you want a lightweight quilt. If it is a "wrap the baby" quilt I would say no batting, if it is a floor quilt, I would put in batting so it wouldn't wrinkle up as much with the baby moving on it.

Teresa said...

Minky? What is that?

Ah, you kitty looks so sweet in this picture, compared to the post before when she was attacking your fabric, LOL. I can tell you what my cat does, she pulls every bit of the batting out of my trash can and carries it all over the house. She also like to shred to pieces those felted wool pin cushions.

62cherry said...

hello!
you left a coment on my flickr re DS Single Girl Quilt Pattern
the templates are the correct size with seam allowance, it is a beaut pattern!!
justine (62cherry)

Catherine said...

Wonderful kitty picture! If you manage to train yours to do bindings, let me know how you managed it! :-)

Chocolate Cat said...

Hmmm I kind of think that is what Fred does all day while I am at work too.....!!

Tanya said...

That is a wonderful picture! You look like you chose the quilt to match the cat... or the cat to match the quilt? Pretty quilt backing.