Thursday, October 23, 2008

That does it!

I was finally able to get the meat & chicken for me weekend cooking.

Because of a couple holidays, the kosher grocery stores were closed on Tuesday & Wednesday & the other grocers are hit & miss with what they carry & the amounts...

I needed 5 lbs. of chicken wings for chicken broth (link to my recipe - the flavor is in the bones & the wings have the highest bone ratio) - you can't get Kosher Chicken wings at a non-kosher grocery store unless you buy a ton of cut up chicken packs. That isn't happening...

I also wanted ground beef so that I can try this recipe that Judy shared the other day. I plan to cook it tomorrow & put some up for when the baby comes...

A question for you savvy crock potters...

If I brown my beef & onions tonight & store them in the fridge will that be o.k.? I don't want to be messing with browning beef in the morning... Just checking if the cold cooked beef will be a problem or not, I don't think so, but... I will have enough to do with veggie chopping & can opening! (Not to mention the fact that my husband is in the kitchen making eggs & toast in the morning - I better ask for just cereal...)

2 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Hey there! Sometimes I brown a bunch of hamburger all at once and freeze batches of it. Then I put it in the crock pot frozen with the other ingredients for spaghetti, chilli, soup, etc. It works great. So browning the night before will definately be OK.

cindyquiltsOR said...

My crock pot has a removable kettle. I can brown the meat the night before, just pull out and assemble in the morning. Meaning, once browned, I stored it in the crock pot kettle.

We had a local TV cook here; she called pre-browning the ground beef 'making gravel'. She would brown 5#, drain and then freeze on a cookie sheet. Once it was frozen, she put it into recipe sized portions. Seems reasonable to be able to do it with any cut of meat.