Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Stuff" because I have to get it out or I will burst

So I figured out why my MIL & I do not get along as well as she would like. We communicate differently. She is into idle chatter & I am to the point. It happened again yesterday. I decided to call her to tell her about the ultrasound. By the time I was able to hang up I heard about her response to a wedding invitation near the due date & about a wedding or two from the past & other stuff. (BTW Her social calendar rivals that of any head of state.) By the time, she got onto the wedding subject, all I could think of was, "I don't care if you were at table 200 or not..." No I am not kidding - 200+ tables times an average of 8 people per table...

Which segways nicely into the hospital tour. As a caveat, I was bone tired & still thinking far too much on the untrasound... This will be a bit snarky...
a. it started a bit late (no biggie).
b. some people arrived even later (no biggie).
c. the guide pretty much started over for the latecomers (IRRITATING considering that the tour started late to begin with...)
d. too much idle chatter - like when we were in the mother/baby unit she pointed out the closet - because we will be using coats pretty soon, "Although it has been warm the past couple of days." That should not bug me, but it does. We all know that it has been warm & the unseasonable warm weather does not have one thing to do with a hospital tour... (Especially when I was already tired...)

I've mentioned the untrasound twice now, haven't I? Don't tell anyone, but I know the answer to the $64,000 question. (If you know the reference, jump up & down like a fool...) I am not going to tell you the answer... :o) But there are several people who I would prefer not know that I know the answer as well... BTW My husband quite enjoys being cryptic when telling me about almost anything. For example, the official answer to where we are registered is "The Bureau of Prining & Engraving" and we prefer to get post masters instead of presidents. (The cryptic part - figuring out the last bit - who was a post master & is on US currency.) I gave him a liberal dose of his own medicine while he tried to get the answer to the $64,000 question out of me. :o)

The baby is fine, but in a breech position. This will most likely move my birth plan from 100% natural to planned caesarean... But that may be speculation on my part - I see the doctor next week.

I guess waking at 3 is becoming closer to normal for me. I usually just stay in bed, but to day I got up got cleaned up & fed then plopped on the couch with 2 cats to watch the news. (I leave the house at about 6 for work.) Looks like we will be getting Pittsburgh's weather soon, so I can "plan" to make butter nut squash soup. :o)

12 comments:

Suzan said...

Your baboo may still swing around. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for you!!

BTW - your MIL sounds a lot like my mother. Makes me twitch...

Sunny said...

Ah, the joys of MIL's! She sounds a little like mine. Except mine doesn't have much of a social life. She drones on and on about what is on sale at the grocery and what coupons she has and how she only paid 5 cents for this or that. Drives me nuts!! Hopefully that baby turns around. My first did and boy oh boy was it strange because I watched it happen! I was sitting in Science class my first year of college, and he flipped. I freaked out. Did not know what they heck had happened. All was good and he was just getting in position to come out!

Libby said...

You never know - the kitten may just decided to turn around. Hubby and I have a complete vocabulary of off-the-wall references that most folks don't understand. It's one big inside joke/trivia game around here all the time *s*

Rian said...

My husband uses that expression too..."got cleaned up, got fed." It seems unusual to me.

My MIL was a chatterbox too. One time she picked us up from the airport--we had just returned from a European trip--and the whole way home we had to listen to her spew about her (one and only) trip to somewhere that happened 30 years ago...in agonizing detail. She never once asked us how our trip was. She could talk the paint right off the walls.

The kitten may still do some turning, keep your fingers crossed.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I so understand your frustration with idle chatter... and the incessant need of others to be the focus of conversation when all I really need is someone to listen... right there with you!

My husband was a breech baby, born w/o c-section so don't give up hope entirely...

Take care ~ we're out here listening.

Catherine said...

Here's hoping your baby moves so you can go ahead with your natural plan.
Your MIL sounds like one of our neighbours -- sweet lady, but sometimes it's very very difficult to listen to her. Guess those are the people who teach us patience. :-)

paula, the quilter said...

Here's hoping the kitteh turns for you. With age, I have developed a slight hearing problem and it manifested itself the other night at guild. I was trying to hear the speaker and the two gals next to me kept chattering. Of course, my brain/ear refused to pick up the speaker, just the chatterers. So impolite of them!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Your MIL sounds just like mine. That woman can talk like there's no tomorrow. In the course of a conversation she has the amazing ability to change subjects multiple times without telling you, so by the time the conversation is over you don't know what information went with what story. It's tiring!

Margaret aka Supermom said...

My 3rd was head down until about 32-34 weeks, when she went breach. A few weeks later she turned all on her own. View is always better that way! There are some research on inversion techniques for you to do (harmless) as well as a hospital inversion that they likely wouldnt do before 39 weeks. Having had 2 v@gin@l births and a 3rd that was E-C/section, I'd hope the bambino turns :-)

andsewitis Holly said...

My second was breech the day before delivery but turned herself around by the time my water broke so hold onto your hope for that natural delivery.

Your MIL sounds exactly like mine. Exactly. And I'm like you - straight to the point.

Deb H said...

I'm thinking Ben Franklin is who you prefer.

I hope your MIL doesn't look at your blog!

I love a good mystery! You are a funny girl Amy.

Hope all goes well for you.

tami said...

My 9 pound 15 oz son was breech 2 weeks before he was born. I laid in bed one night and watched him turn. It looked like a scene from Alien, but it was painless and I had a very uneventful delivery.