Friday, October 17, 2008

Rumor control

So I mentioned my breech baby to quite a few people... I heard many stories that they knew about breech births...
From, they just grab the legs & pull the baby out...
To something that sounds rather barbaric - turning the baby...
Here is the best one...
A gal with whom I work had a breech baby about 17 years ago.
She said that she had to try to deliver v@gin@lly otherwise the insurance would not cover the cost of the c-section...

After hearing that one I had to call my insurance carrier.
Officially, the doctor will not try to turn the baby. That is for the baby to do or not on its own. The insurance will pay for a planned c-section, so if the baby does not turn, I don't have to worry about pulling the baby by its legs out of the birth canal.

I am not sure when that decision would be made, but I know the day on which I would choose to deliver... Thanksgiving after sunset. After dealing with infertility, we have a lot to be thankful for... Also that corresponds to Rosh Chodesh (new moon) - Rosh Chodesh symbolizes renewal, the ability of the Jewish People to rise up from oblivion and restore itself to its past greatness. Just as the moon disappears at the end of each month, but returns and grows to fullness, so Israel may suffer exile and decline, but it always renews itself. & If I deliver a boy on Thursday night/Friday day, the Brit Milah (Bris) would be on Sunday which is quite convenient for all of the people who work, but who would like to help us celebrate.

My GF asked if the doctor would schedule a Thanksgiving delivery... I am not sure but the way I see it, if I went into spontaneous labor - he/she (I am in a group practice) would not have a choice... Again we'll see...

For now the baby is healthy & that is all that matters - that & we completed our childbirth class... :o)

12 comments:

miniaturequilter said...

Everything sounds like it is getting worked out. You and the baby both sound like you are doing well, I am very happy for you!

Exuberant Color said...

You said if you deliver a baby boy, did you tell us the sex of the baby?

McIrish Annie said...

Hey Dandylion! Sorry I have been MIA but life is pretty busy. Sounds like you have lots going on too! Don't worry about the baby everything will turn out fine whether the kitten turns or he/she doesn't. and don't worry about the MIL. My MIL is like that. I've been married 25 years and we still butt heads from time to time.

I saw your baby bump pic! That kitten is good sized! and you look great.

hang in there!

Kim West said...

With my daughter, I was scheduled for an external version (where they turn the baby) but she flipped on her own.... she actually flipped several times after that too. Don't worry, things will happen the way they are supposed to. Glad you and baby are doing good.

Libby said...

I'm pretty sure that no kitten will arrive before it's time *s* Now go put your feet up and relax.

creativedawn said...

BARBARIC you say....well, fourteen years ago my darling son was in the canal headed out the accepted way and during a really painful contraction, he seemed to put the brakes on and turned to a transverse position (much like the m&m commercial-where the candy feels the suction of the candy selector and puts both his feet up and hands and hangs on digging in his heels)...thank God one of my doctors (the one with the midwifery experience) and very small hands climbed up onto the bed and felt around and very gently turned my son back to the position he needed to be in and held him in position until the contractions, now restarted with medication, overtook him and his desires not to experience pain!!! and sucked him safely into the birth canal and out....I cannot tell you what an exhilerating experience that was .... his birth was accomplished without unnecessary cutting and I imagine a greater monetary expenditure for my health carrier!!! I find that people who know what they are doing can accomplish much!!! Always with the grace of God! Good luck and wishes for your upcoming birth...you will enjoy the process, whichever you chose, for the ultimate is a beautiful child!! Just my thoughts....
hugz
Pam

Kay said...

Aren't you loving all these breech birth stories? And aren't you glad you live now?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Blessings to you, your husband, and the kitten... all in good time (and with a back-up plan to calm the anxiety)... so love my two boys (now 27 and 30).

Jeanne said...

I'm crossing my fingers that everything turns out just right according to Plan A, normal delivery. But your ideas about choosing that special day and time for a caesarean are just lovely.
Jeanne

sewprimitive karen said...

I love your Blooming Nine Patch. How wonderful that the baby is almost here. Bet it'll turn before labor.

Morah said...

If you are able to plan the childs birthday, what a lovely one to pick!

Mary said...

Staffing for the DR/OR would probably be the issue on a holiday for a planned C/S I would think. My youngest was born on March 18th via a planned C/S. I would have chosen the 17th, St. Patrick's Day if it hadn't been a Sunday.