Monday, October 27, 2008

Quilt magazines

The Calico Quilter - of "It's the cat's house, I just live here" fame posted a query about magazines & reminded me of something that I wanted to blog about...
(To begin with and to answer her question, I don't have a favorite right now... I am allowing all of my magazines to lapse. I like to take an hour & browse through all of the quilty magazines at a big box book store. If I find a pattern that I like, I buy the magazine, if not then I don't. I recently bought a magazine that I had never ever contimplated buying before - sorry can't remember the magazine name - might have been American Quilter.)

I mentioned in the last few weeks that I ordered a quilt kit that I saw in the current American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. (I don't see it on the front page anymore & my computer is running slowly - so I did not check their "exclusive kits" page.)



(I rarely order/purchase kits or BOM's.) But this one mentioned Taupes, looked like it would look good over my couch, & I could actually see some Taupes in the photos. I usually buy my Taupes from Pinwheels - though I have purchased them for other sources on occasion.
DSC05638.JPGImagine my suprise to find so many taupes. Not just taupes but the yarn dyed taupes... (The bottom of the picture.) When I ordered the kit, I thought, "I will switch out the border - I still will. & maybe some of the other pieces. I'm not 100% sure about switching out the other pieces - well maybe a few... While I was looking for suitable substitutes, I noticed a few stapled on price tags & you can see the prices at the pinwheels link above... But for a king sized quilt with those yarn dyed taupes, this quilt was not a bad deal... (Even though my husband choked when I told him the price.) Especially since some of those are "new to me."
So if you were thinking about it, I couldn't be more pleased myself. (I haven't started to cut or piece yet, so I am still assuming that the kit has enough fabric...)

4 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

That's a beautiful quilt and the colors are marvelous. I checked out the price, and kind of gulped a little too. But when I started paging through all the Daiwabo taupes, I understood the appeal - and the cost. I cannot afford to fall in love with these fabrics. It's best I don't look!

Vicki W said...

The fabrics match the fabric inspector perfectly!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Amy, oh you lucky thing you! Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. I'll remember that. :)

Violette Severin said...

I'm the same way with the magazines. They are too expensive to buy them all so I "review" them first at the bookstore. If there is something inside that I must have then I buy it.