Wednesday, October 29, 2008

goings on...

I'll start with the recent history & work my way in to the planned future.

On Friday night (After the false alarm...) we went to a big box "lumber yard." and ordered some kitchen cabinets.

aside: If I failed to mention it earlier, my MIL (who is not alone this time) does not like our lack of storage solution in our kitchen. Since we keep Kosher in our home (Kosher style outside - we choose fish & veggie options at non-kosher restaurants) we have 5 sets of dishes, glasses, & silverware (meat daily use, dairy daily use, meat for passover, dairy for passover, & a fancy set that we used once during passover). I know other people who have many sets of dishes just because so this can't be super unusual, right? Anyway, since we only use the Passover dishes once a year for a week they live above the cabinets - wrapped up in table cloths.

The new cabinets will add 18 inches above the existing cabinets and hold the Passover Dishes. (We have 12 foot ceilings with standard 30 inch cabinets right now, so we will bump that up to 18 inches. At a Kitchen design shop, they recommended tearing out the old and putting in 48 inch cabinets, so hopefully these will not look so odd...)

We are also adding cabinets to a wall that did not have any previously so that our food can be stored in a "pantry" instead of on the counters.

Those will be delivered on the 17th of November & installed on the 18th & 19th. (It's good to know the installer & it is good that he has the time to take off from the "real job.")

On Saturday, we went to a Happy Fall-o-ween/Halloween party & had a nice time. (Friday nights don't work well for us...) I went dressed as a .... Pregnant woman! :o) I almost did bare foot & pregnant, but my feet were too cold. My husband went as a fan of Farve & the Bretts. (No, that will never get old!) We got a lot of "advice" on babies... & historical references... It was fun.

On Sunday, I started my simmer for a long time chicken broth after we ran a few errands...

On Monday, we started another baby class. This one is more on traditions & transitions that the actual birth or child care. We got there with a baby name for either gender - the boy name might be back up in the air...

Last night, I finished that broth & used some in a chicken soup. (Yes, I picked off all of the meat from 5lbs. of chicken wings...) The soup this time was loaded with veggies, carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, & turnips.

Tonight we will either have butternut squash soup or split pea soup... I use smoked turkey instead of a ham bone in my pea soup - My regular source is no longer available, so I got a different turkey leg - I am a bit anxious to try it, it doesn't "look" smoked...

On Saturday, my husband will have his Fatherhood 101 class & I will be cutting keys for the cat sitter & the cabinet installer. I will also make another soup/stew to put up (I need to double the recipe... Back to find more of those Aduki beans...)

On Sunday, the cat sitter will come over to learn how to feed our cats. Not so easy considering that my boy would rather play chase that go into the kitty carrier for his food. (I would blame someone who fed him out of the carrier, but...) & My girl needs to have small portions over time so that she does not return it & so that the boy does not finish it...

Then my GF will arrive to help me cull the stash. That plan is not as bad as it sounds... to begin with, the sewing room is the babies room & the baby has a lot of stuff... so something has to give.
Yesterday, I ventured in to give it a good start... I have quite a few UFO's without even digging... Those are set to the side, not to be sorted through...

I hope to post a list of those next week...

I pulled a couple cat prints for the cull pile - yes, I am patting myself on the back...

No quilt top yet... I wonder in which safe spot I put that...

Busy, busy, busy & no mention of sewing... Oh well. I hope that you are sewing at least.

6 comments:

Ruth's Place said...

Oh wow, you are so busy! Makes me exhausted just thinking about all you have going on, and I'm not pregnant!

Hope everything goes smoothly, and congrats (is that the right word) on adding cat fabric to the culling.

Kay said...

Sounds like that "nesting urge" that is supposedly part of pregnancy is in full swing. I'm impressed by the culling.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Kay has it right - nesting at its finest!

Catherine said...

You are incredibly busy!! Guess it really is the nesting instinct. :-)

Hope the kitchen renovation goes smoothly and quickly for you!

Betty J in OKC said...

I'll volunteer to help give your culled fabric a good home. :) It sounds like you'll be very busy between now and delivery. I'm praying for a safe and easy delivery for you.

Jules said...

My parents have neighbors who decided that they would never again host Passover just to eliminate one set of dishes from their lives. So they always go somewhere else for that meal now.

Have fun nesting!